Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Showing my ignorance here, but how does Rake effect the bike? Shy the different sizes? and lastly how do you determine what rake you need if you are buying a new fork? FYI I am not getting a new fork I am just searching for knowledge.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Quik summary

SlaminSam said:
Showing my ignorance here, but how does Rake effect the bike? Shy the different sizes? and lastly how do you determine what rake you need if you are buying a new fork? FYI I am not getting a new fork I am just searching for knowledge.

Thanks
When you say rake, I presume you really mean offset. More offset means faster steering, though most would tell you that a couple of mm difference would not be noticeable. If you want your bike's handling to stay the same, you get a fork with the same offset as what you have. It's a bit tricky to measure offset, so your best bet is to find the frame manufacturer's web site and hope they have posted relevant geometry information. Another way to tell what your current fork is would be to compare it with a fork of known offset; this will get you close to knowing the number for your fork.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts