Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at the LBS has his 4.0 and his wife's 3.0 for sale. Both appear to be 2006 models with about 500-700 miles on the computer. He is asking $600 for the 3.0 and $1500 for the 4.0. The 3.0 sounds pretty good, but the $1500 seems a little steep. Should I jump all over the 3.0??

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Dude, as an owner of a 2006 Cadent 5.0, that's a total rip.

I bought my 5.0 for a cool $1300 shipped brand new, with pedals and wheels and whatnots.

Total rip for the 4.0, I can't believe he's even trying for that. Yeah I know the 5.0 retails for like $2300-$2500 but nobody pays retail... I mean c'mon!

As for the 3.0, $600 still sounds steep.

What lots of people don't know is that the Cadent 2006 bikes for both the 4 and 5 versions had full Easton Ultralite Race 7005/EC90 frames. While the 3 and below had atomic 13 aluminum. The material in the easton frames are basically analogous to say a BMC Road Racer made with the same stuff for a $1200 frameset.

Those Raleigh Cadent frames are sleepers. But still wouldn't buy it for 1500.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
For the 3.0 I would go for ~$400, it's definitely reasonable. Yeah the guy can make more money parting it out, but the bike is used. But be aware this is 105 9-spd, not the more recent 10 spd stuff.

On the other hand, the Cadent 4.0 is full ultegra 6600 including the brakes on an really nice frame. The fork is okay and I definitely upgraded mine to a EC90 to match and for ride characteristics. I would offer ~$800-1000 for a used Cadent 4.0 if I didn't get the deal on mine. The frame is definitely worth at least 400 bucks (solely based on materials and welding craftmanship, the welds are very smooth for aluminum). Gruppo of 6600 is about 500-600 buckish, so 800-1000 is pretty reasonable.

I understand he's trying to cut his losses, but if he's at the LBS, and the LBS is a Raleigh dealer, he prolly got a good deal and maybe he's selling it to you for nearly the price he paid.

I suggest you checkout the 4.0 frame welds and compare it to the 3.0 frame if you can so you can see what I mean. Or I can grab you some pics. Also the 4.0 frame is pretty light too, I got my Cadent 5.0 to under 16 lbs adding in ~$800 more in upgrades. I'm over 2k but definitely much livelier than it used to be... but that's not to say the 4.0 or 5.0 are slow bikes when stock by any means. Either model stock both come in under 20 lbs, around 18-19 lbs give or take 0.5 lbs for size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. He's bringing the bike by this PM for my wife to try out. I'll give it a week or so and see if he's willing to take less. If he's asking $1500 for the 4.0 he'd probably fall out if I offered $800. I may let that one pass.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
You'll be surprised how far you can bargain for a used bike. At least try if anything.

If he works at a shop, he knows 9spd 105 is done and even 10spd Tiagra is superior on ALL COUNTS.

For the 4.0, offer $1000 then, no more, as you can ebay the parts of its sums for that price. It's still reasonable since it is built up. Parting out a bike and selling is a lot of work. As long as you show you're knowledgeable about the bikes he's won't be able to haggle back at you as hard.

The 4.0 retailed for like $1800-$1900, $1500 for a 3 year old bike is a lot to ask... and I'm assuming he put more miles than most considering he loves bikes right? Raleighs in general (anywhere in fact) whether high end race bikes, or low end don't have a lot of demand for some reason. Hence the lower very competitive pricing. Look for cadent prices on Ebay, you'll get an idea of what you should be offering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.