Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
My experience has been that in the day time, flashing lights don't help as much. I have them on my two commuter bikes (frond and rear) and during the day I have been turned into/in front of many times. It happens less often at night.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
I think an air horn would be more effective getting the attention of any traffic. My former bike shop supervisor made one out of a 1 liter plastic pop bottle and he re-pressurize it every couple of days. That thing is loud!

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Flashing lights are always going to help get the attention of others. But to an 81 year dude driving a car—who knows?
Good question.

I've been in a vehicle (With driving lights on) where they've turned in front of me and I having to test my ABS brakes :rolleyes: .

So, IMHO; If they can't see a vehicle with driving lights on coming straight at them, how is a blinking headlight on a bike going to be any better?!

81 years old, why am I not surprised.
In my experience driving and riding, the senior-senior citizens are the ones who have cut me off both while in a vehicle as well as on a bike.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Good question.

I've been in a vehicle (With driving lights on) where they've turned in front of me and I having to test my ABS brakes :rolleyes: .

So, IMHO; If they can't see a vehicle with driving lights on coming straight at them, how is a blinking headlight on a bike going to be any better?!

In my experience driving and riding, the senior-senior citizens are the ones who have cut me off both while in a vehicle as well as on a bike.
how on earth do you get from one particular incident to conclude it does not work in general? if one person is not saved by an airbag are they worthless? if one cyclist is hit at night with lights on are lights then worthless?

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
how on earth do you get from one particular incident to conclude it does not work in general? if one person is not saved by an airbag are they worthless? if one cyclist is hit at night with lights on are lights then worthless?
Slow down. Take a step back and relax your breathing :rolleyes: .

I'm simply bringing up a valid point to ponder. Why do you insist on taking it to extremes :confused: ?!

Does high bloodpressure run in your family?

I'm lit up like a Christmas tree when I ride day or night. Between D.O.T. reflector stickers, multiple taillights, and multiple head lights, I'd say I have at least a pound (454+g) of 'Please notice me' lights and reflectors on my commuter bike. And we're not even talking about what I wear that's reflective. I've told my wife if I'm ever found on a rural road with the obvious evidence of me being run over, a 30 sec. inspection of me and my bike would clearly indicate I wasn't run over because the driver didn't see me or that I didn't do my part so drivers could see me. I believe I've totally removed that possible argument the perp may claim if it ever happened.

I'm about to invest in a new tail light. Nite Rider has a 2 watt tail light that I want to get. And I thought my 1 watt tail light was bright!

If I had your extreme mentality I wouldn't be riding because I would be too paranoid.

I still ask the question (For philosophical or academic discussion): If they can't see a vehicle with driving lights on coming straight at them, how is a blinking headlight on a bike going to be any better?!

·
Burnette
98 Posts
Prayers With Family

Raleigh is about two hours away from me, mix of rural, city and country, beautiful place. Did a bike shop ride there in '06.
I ride with Dinotte head and tail lights, have even contemplated taking the headlight off. But, sometimes my routes take me through city taffic
(Kernersville, High Point, Winston-Salem, etc..), I like to have the headlight for intersections, driveways and side streets. It's a personal preference thing, don't care one way or another what someone else chooses to ride with or without myself.
I understand though that it may not help at all, crashes happen for many reasons, no fool proof way of avoiding them.
Prayers to those he left behind, may he rest in piece.
One reason I think I keep the headlight is the geek factor, it makes the bike nerd side of me happy, I like it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
"Would daytime flashing lights on the front and the rear have prevented this?"

That is my intention for running my Niterider on flash during my daily commute. I have noticed cars seem to see me before pulling out whereas they used to pull out in front of me more often when I wasn't running it.
Had a lady pass me on the bike trail last week (on her bike) as I said "good morning" to her she said "it's not nighttime you know".
*****. I keep it swiveled a couple of clicks to the right to keep it out of the eyes of oncoming cyclists. If I see her coming again I may have to expel the extra water I just swished in my mouth.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
"Would daytime flashing lights on the front and the rear have prevented this?"

That is my intention for running my Niterider on flash during my daily commute. I have noticed cars seem to see me before pulling out whereas they used to pull out in front of me more often when I wasn't running it.
Had a lady pass me on the bike trail last week (on her bike) as I said "good morning" to her she said "it's not nighttime you know".
*****. I keep it swiveled a couple of clicks to the right to keep it out of the eyes of oncoming cyclists. If I see her coming again I may have to expel the extra water I just swished in my mouth.
Next time you see her make sure you thank her.

Because her snide comment reenforced/proved that daytime headlights worked :thumbsup: !

Way back during Operation Desert Shield in late '91, someone started 'Show your support of the troops by driving with your headlights on during the day'. So that's what I did. After Operation Desert Storm was a success I thought, since I'm in emergency medicine, I'll keep driving with my lights on because ambulances and fire trucks drive with their lights on so they'll be seen weaving through traffic while going to a call. So that's what I've done since then.

Up until car companies started putting daytime driving lights in their vehicles people would always ask, "Do you know your lights are on?" or "Why do you drive with your head lights on during the day?!" or they would comment, "Your lights are on!".

I am of the belief that the show of support via driving with your head lights on during the day back in late '91 started the campaign to add daytime driving lights to vehicles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.