Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Milk Thief
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just joined RBR and wanted to know if there were any other commuters in the Raleigh NC area. I used to see some in the summer, but lately it's just been me. I commute from north Raleigh to RDU, 27 miles round trip. If their is anyone else, Speak Up!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Do a quick search.

There is a RBR search function. I typed in "Raleigh NC" and got 30 hits. There are also regional forums that include NC.

Good luck and welcome.
 

·
Milk Thief
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MB1

I'm new to this. Will do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,630 Posts
WrongBikeFred said:
Hello, I just joined RBR and wanted to know if there were any other commuters in the Raleigh NC area. I used to see some in the summer, but lately it's just been me. I commute from north Raleigh to RDU, 27 miles round trip. If their is anyone else, Speak Up!
welcome

what's your ride?
 

·
imbasilical moreon
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
windy today...did you ride?

Blowing 30 mph today....at least you would have had a tailwind on the way home.......

WrongBikeFred said:
Hello, I just joined RBR and wanted to know if there were any other commuters in the Raleigh NC area. I used to see some in the summer, but lately it's just been me. I commute from north Raleigh to RDU, 27 miles round trip. If their is anyone else, Speak Up!
 

·
Milk Thief
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two Bikes

M.J. said:
welcome

what's your ride?
A yellow 04 Giant TCR or a 96 Mongoose MTB, rigid, converted for commuting. Depends on my mood, weather, and which one is all put togeather.
 

·
Milk Thief
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had to fly out on Wednesday

bonkmiester said:
Blowing 30 mph today....at least you would have had a tailwind on the way home.......
Didn't ride, I was regretting it until a gust hit me and I thought my truck was going to fly away. After that I was less upset about having to fly out that day. Rode today, not quite the same as yesterday though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,830 Posts
I tried

I live in N. Raleigh and work on Capital Blvd near the Beltline. I've tried bike commuting a couple of times, but value my life too dearly to do it regularly. Although there is a marked "bike route" from near my neighborhood to close to my job, it follows some busy stretches of road -- namely Spring Forest Rd -- that just aren't safe during rush hour traffic. Riding to work at 6:30 am wasn't too bad, but returning home at 4:30 p.m. was scary. I typically ride 5,000-7,000 miles a year, almost entirely on the road but mostly in rural areas north and east of Raleigh, so it's not like I am not used to riding in traffic. But unfortunately Raleigh streets are not designed for bike commuting, with very few bike paths or lanes in busy areas.
 

·
Milk Thief
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tarwheel2 said:
I live in N. Raleigh and work on Capital Blvd near the Beltline. I've tried bike commuting a couple of times, but value my life too dearly to do it regularly. Although there is a marked "bike route" from near my neighborhood to close to my job, it follows some busy stretches of road -- namely Spring Forest Rd -- that just aren't safe during rush hour traffic. Riding to work at 6:30 am wasn't too bad, but returning home at 4:30 p.m. was scary. I typically ride 5,000-7,000 miles a year, almost entirely on the road but mostly in rural areas north and east of Raleigh, so it's not like I am not used to riding in traffic. But unfortunately Raleigh streets are not designed for bike commuting, with very few bike paths or lanes in busy areas.
Capitol would be a little tough. As far as bike routes, I gave up on them and make my own. If their is a bike lane then people just think that it's extra parking. The MUT's have a 10 mph speed limit that cops actually enforce from time to time. I normaly ride some stretches of Falls of the Neuse and somtimes Lynn/Springforest. The worst part for me during rush hour is the climb up Westgate Rd. from the bottom fo the hill at highway 70 to Ebenezer Church rd. There is an asphalt plant, a quarry and the Post Office sorting house along this stretch, all sending large trucks to and from RDU airport (it's always under construction). The trucks try to give room, but their's not much they can really do though since it is two narrow lanes.
Keep trying different routes if you can, you may find a better route, or just gain nerves of steel and get used to traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Good job

My sister recently moved to the Raleigh area. She likes to mention how it's the fastest growing place in the country or some such thing. It really seemed that way to me. The weather is nice but unfortunately it didn't seem to be a great place to bike. I'm glad to see that some folks are bike commuting there. Hopefully as the area develops cycling will be included in the plans. Do you know if there is a bike advocacy group in the Raleigh area?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top