Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how well this bike travels on gravel roads? How does this bike compare to other hybrids?
Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid

·
Registered
792 Posts
I say the bike sucks and it even has a threaded headset which i refuse to touch, but it will work fine and if you were in excellent shape you could crush them all in the mountain bike races if you needed to. You will complain about your lack of gearing and bad position but you will have champagne all over you and really you will feel better about the bike's obstacles as your ego grows.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
No one here has that bike, it's an entry level bike. If that is what your looking for it looks like it would do pretty good. It has a front shock which is going to make it a lot easier on gravel roads than a solid fork. If it's to get you out there, go for it. If you give it hard use you can upgrade components as required.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,317 Posts
This is a question for the bike hacks over at bikeforums.net. We don't ride no stinkin' hybrids here.

·
Registered
21,579 Posts
Does anyone know how well this bike travels on gravel roads? How does this bike compare to other hybrids?
Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid
A lot of performance on gravel is about the tires, and you can change those out. But a good set of tires would cost roughly 25% of the cost of this bike. It is a very entry level bike so high performance is not one of its features. And then there is the definition of gravel road: water bars and lots of sand and loose gravel, or well-maintained and well packed? If the latter, this bike will be OK.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
My take is that while hybrid bikes are much maligned among "serious cyclists", they do have their place. They are great for more casual cyclists who aren't going to rack up serious mileage and aren't going to ride hard. Most are designed with an emphasis on budget and you won't find more durable components on most of them. My first bike was a hybrid and I quickly racked up 6,000 miles on it at which point, the wheels and bottom bracket were junk.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,317 Posts
The only thing hybrids are good for is as a cheap commuter bike; something that won't hurt so much when it gets stolen or hit by a car. For $400 plus the cost of a set of fenders, you have something you can ride in ANY weather....

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
The only thing hybrids are good for is as a cheap commuter bike; something that won't hurt so much when it gets stolen or hit by a car. For $400 plus the cost of a set of fenders, you have something you can ride in ANY weather....
My hybrid cost around $850 in 2002. I didn't go for bottom of the line. It was a solid bike and served its purpose. It even had Deore rather than rock bottom Altus or Tourney and it had a Cannondale Headahok rather than the el-cheapo Suntour shock. The Weinmann rims were crap even though the Deore hubs were good. Then came "graduation day".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts