Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally drive my Fuji Team SL w/ sram force, but i was looking to find a bike to commute to the gym and keep on the trainer. I found this raleigh rt 600 for $175. Its extremely light for a steel bike and has 105 components. (14 speed).

I looked on the forum and found different discussion as far for 10 speeds not being worth it, other bikes with bigger cassettes being easy. but not much detail. I am trying to do this project on my own and have several books lined up as far as how to install, maintenance etc.

Looking for advise or some easy how to's.

Some Pics:

·
Registered
49 Posts
$175 seems like a great deal. Where I'm from, old/steel bikes go for top dollar.

Running STI's will be tricky unless you go 8/9/10 speed. 8 speed is also increasingly harder to find. The 7 speed freehub body on your rear wheel should also be too narrow to run a 8/9/10 spd. cassette.

I would just stick with 7 speed out back. There's nothing wrong with that. If you are completely against running D/T shifters, you can find friction bar end shifters. www.rivbike.com sells them. Friction works with pretty much anything. It will take getting used to but it would allow you to have shifters that are located on the bars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rim is or bike is not bent, just the angle. I had the bike laying on the steps.

I am not looking to Change the cassette or any components unless i really have to, just convert the d/t shifters to sti shifters.

FatTireFred, will any 7 sti shifter work? or does it have to be 105?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.