Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 85 Raleigh Team frame. The serial number is WB5001389
From what I have read I know it is a "Works" frame built in (forgot the month) 1985.
The frame is entirely red with chrome forks, which I haven't seen in my research. It is 531c tubing with Campagnolo dropouts. The top tube says Raleigh USA with some black and yellow markings that I have seen on some 753 frames.
What exactly do I have? I am assuming it is a Team Replica because I would think the real Team frames are the 753 frames but I really don't know.
Any additional information would be appreciated.
I am thinking about a repaint and a Retro/Mod build with a 9 speed record group I have.
I am anxious to see how it rides, I am currently throwing it together to ride a few times before the paint.
Also, any ideas where to get decals for this frame? I have only seen decals for the Ti Raleigh frames.
Rusty

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Post a picture if you can. I don't recall anything about "USA" on the team bikes, but I sort of lost track in the early eighties when Raleigh discontinued sponsorship of Century Road Club of America.

If Argentius doesn't pipe up soon, send him a private message. He may have some info on Raleigh USA.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Team Replica

Your frame will be a Team Replica built at the Lightweight Division in Nottingham in February 1985.
The W in the frame number would seem to indicate a Worksop build but the old Carlton factory closed in the early '80's and production moved to Nottingham. Raleigh continued to use the W prefix on their ''better'' frames.
The real ''Top of the line '' 531 & 753 frames were built at SBDU in Ilkeston and can be identified by their SB (followed by four digits) frame number.

Dave.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I assume the difference is that the "W" frames were more or less mass produced and sold as complete bicycles. The "SBDU" frames were either built for the teams or special ordered as a frameset. Is that about the way it worked?
With that said, is there much difference in the way the replica frames ride compared to the real team frames (assuming 531 vs 531)? Or even build quality?
It appears to be a nice frame, either way I am going to build it up and enjoy it.
Rusty

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Lightweight Division was seperate from the main Nottingham factory, and yes, they mostly produced complete bikes although there were a few frameset only options.

The frames were handbuilt & hand-brazed and IMHO were of equal quality to the Ilkeston frames although others may not agree on that point!

I have two 531c ''Worksop'' frames and they ride great. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Dave.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple of pictures. I have this posted on another forum and it seems to be stumping people?
It isn't like anything I have seen in my research on this frame except for a 753 frame.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Raleigh USA

I recall a late 80's Raleigh USA catalog that talked about being able to order 531 or 753 frames from the UK. Would explain the usa decal on top and the different seatstay caps with an embossed Raleigh on it.

Takmanjapan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.