Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
whitefoxglove
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Bikers. Husband bought the above mentioned bike at a thrift store for $99, thinking it would fit me and it looks like it has never been ridden. He heard me talking about getting back into touring. We live on the Olympic Peninsula. I took it to the local shop and the gearhead there says with a new seat (with longer rails) and possibly shorter cranks, he thinks we can dial in the fitment for me. I'm 5'4" with short legs/arms but long torso. Fitment is always a challenge. Right now our shop gearhead is working on a replacement for the cable stop bracket thingy which broke the first time the front derailleur was deployed. I don't know what that bracket is called, it secures the cables going down the downtube and after that bracket they are bare, without the conduit cover. The rear derailleur worked fine and shifts were smooth. I looked at the stickers by the bottom bracket, the bike was made in Taiwan. I read on the internet somewhere that in this line of bikes the "better ones" were made in Japan. My question is: I never was a fan of the thumb gear levers mounted on the center of the handlebars. Always liked them on the down tube. This one came standard in the center. If I were to upgrade to modern shifters, what would be a good upgrade? Second question, anybody have knowledge of the bike, its history, provenance, etc.? I like it because the top straddle fits my short legs. If I prove out with this bike, I might invest in something more modern, or might go modern for a more race type bike and keep the vintage for tour. Vintage suits my sensibilities for now. Comments welcome. Forgot to say: it looks a lot like the frame on the Raleigh Mixte that appears on the Home page here.

·
whitefoxglove
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm. lots of views no comments. Maybe it's too old for the group here. I believe it's an 80s bike and probably not high end, just good quality for the manufacturing era. Will seek more local knowledge. Nice site. Don't know why my name came out wrong, it should be whitefoxgLove. a white wildflower, my fave. later..........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.