Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking for a 46 tooth 94 mm chain wheel, I find many inexpensive non-ramped and few expensive ramped offerings. My need is to enlarge the outer ring on my double mountain crank. Is the ramping vital to shifting in this case? Thanks

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I'll take a crack

Is ramping "vital" to having any shifting? Probably not. I'm taking vital to mean is it necessary for the shifting to work, at all. But, ramping does speed and smooth the shifting. In that case I'd say that ramping is "vital" to achieving the smoothest shifting possible. If you go with the non-ramped ring I suspect you could be reminded of the price difference almost every time you shift the gears.

Anyone else?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
It is "vital" if you want to shift while standing. Otherwise, just a little quicker.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Shifting while standing

MR_GRUMPY said:
It is "vital" if you want to shift while standing. Otherwise, just a little quicker.
I don't know about that. I can shift while standing quite easily without ramped chainrings.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
breadrunner said:
In looking for a 46 tooth 94 mm chain wheel, I find many inexpensive non-ramped and few expensive ramped offerings. My need is to enlarge the outer ring on my double mountain crank. Is the ramping vital to shifting in this case? Thanks
How does what you have now shift?

If you are expanding the range between the middle and big ring, you can expect shifting crispness to decline a little. If you're fine with what you have now, the cheap ring might not be too much of a risk. If you think that what you have now is marginal, you'll probably want the ramped chainring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts