Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Tanzania in about a month for 2 weeks. Approximately one week for Kilimanjaro, one week for a safari and other stuff. I have a Panasonic camera with a proprietary battery charger that plugs into 120 volt wall outlets. I have 2 batteries, however replacement oem batteries are $60, cheapies are $11 but I would rather just recharge the two I have.

We will each carry a small portable solar charger that will charge our phones and Kindles. I'm looking at either finding something that will accept my camera battery charger or buying a bunch of spare batteries. I forgot to mention the wife and I will both carry cameras that use these batteries. Significant down time on the climb up may mean going through a a battery a day, as will the safari most likely.

Any suggestions I'm open to ideas. I'm good with memory cards etc.

Edit: I am wondering if I should also bring a device I can use to copy my memory cards just in case of loss or damage at the end of each day...

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
I shoot with a Panasonic GH4. Bought a cheapy battery on eBay or Amazon, but it did not work in my camera. (I ignored one MFT forum's recommendation.) So I now stick with the OEM ones. I bought the battery grip attachment, which doubles up power capacity and allows for easier 90 degree rotation.

Good luck with the charger solution and enjoy your trip. Sounds like an awesome one.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
First I'd buy a load of the cheap replacements. I've been using them with my Sony for years without a problem. I use wasabi's that came with an extra charger that is 120/240 compatable and comes with a european adapter. From what I've heard from my friends on safari's you shouldn't have a problem having power in your hotel or safari camp.

We also use anker powerbank portable batteries that allow us to charge stuff from them. Charge them when you have power and carry them along.

I'd get the extra batteries. I had 4 on our last vacation and ran them down quickly when doing a lot of shooting.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a second aftermarket battery on my Panasonic camera. These don't work correctly with the battery level indicator--it stays at full/3 bars then eventually jumps to 1 bar and quickly to empty. But it's fine otherwise, I just don't trust it as much if I want the camera to be ready for a quick once-in-a-lifetime shot.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A quick google search shows 12v or usb camera rechargers.

For example: Camera and Device chargers - Panasonic

How are you going to be trekking and recharging your devices? A panel on your backpack? Leave it in the sun at camp while you are gone?

Perhaps the outfitters will have a usb charging station? Or even a 120/240 inverter to a car battery.

For phones, travelers have used the chargers that are larger batteries in a case, that get recharged occasionally, then can recharge a phone multiple times.
REI portable -- refill it from solar or wall plug (But you'd need a larger one than this.)

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Well, please supply a link or the details to the actual aftermarket unit. My GH4 rejected the one I bought, despite its matching shape and contact points.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A quick google search shows 12v or usb camera rechargers.

For example: Camera and Device chargers - Panasonic

How are you going to be trekking and recharging your devices? A panel on your backpack? Leave it in the sun at camp while you are gone?

Perhaps the outfitters will have a usb charging station? Or even a 120/240 inverter to a car battery.

For phones, travelers have used the chargers that are larger batteries in a case, that get recharged occasionally, then can recharge a phone multiple times.
REI portable -- refill it from solar or wall plug (But you'd need a larger one than this.)

We have two solar panel chargers that are 10,000 mAh each which should last a week if we go easy on our devices. They will clip on our packs and charge while we walk. We also have a few Anker lipstick chargers that we'll bring along just in case.

The trick is charging the camera batteries which only accept 120 volts. We will be traveling up the mountain with no vehicles and no electricity and camping in tents or huts. It will just be 6 of us in our party however I am only concerned about the wife and I.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
We have two solar panel chargers that are 10,000 mAh each which should last a week if we go easy on our devices. They will clip on our packs and charge while we walk. We also have a few Anker lipstick chargers that we'll bring along just in case.

The trick is charging the camera batteries which only accept 120 volts. We will be traveling up the mountain with no vehicles and no electricity and camping in tents or huts. It will just be 6 of us in our party however I am only concerned about the wife and I.
When I was in Tanzania I had six batteries (Oly M43). The safari vehicle had a 120v outlet. The tent camping had 120v solar power on a limited basis. This worked well..I never went below four empty batteries. On another note...do not take pictures of government facilities. Do not take pictures of individuals without permission. They are very sensitive about this...You will have a fabulous time.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, we will have fun. I am also using a Panasonic Lumix G5 with the kit lens (14-42) and a Panasonic 45-200 for the extra reach. I may buy the Wasabi charger with 2 spare batteries as listed on Amazon, the batteries are not decoded but that's minor I guess.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Thank you, we will have fun. I am also using a Panasonic Lumix G5 with the kit lens (14-42) and a Panasonic 45-200 for the extra reach. I may buy the Wasabi charger with 2 spare batteries as listed on Amazon, the batteries are not decoded but that's minor I guess.
I have a Oly 75-300 I would give you a sweet deal on...

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm good, I ordered the Panny 20mm/1.7 that's all I need for all I do (I think).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts