Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What goes through you mind around mile 90 in a century ride. Looking for those random weird thoughts that stick with you.

One of mine is a line from "hunt from red october"
"Very good.
Maintain course and speed.

Too fast, Vasily.

Too fast.

Those charts are
laid out precisely...

so many knots
for so many seconds.

And this thing
handles like a pig."

as I try to maintain my position in a group

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
At least it is the best of the made to movie

Jack Ryan episodes.

My thoughts tend to focus on how odd it is that the most important thing in the world at that point and time will be a tall, cold glass of ice water and maybe a couple of bananas. When your pushed to your limit, I suppose it is the basic needs that make you happy...

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
PeteWorc said:
What goes through you mind around mile 90 in a century ride. Looking for those random weird thoughts that stick with you.
The commute home from work: My commute home is about 14.5 miles. When I hit the 90 mile mark, or so, I just think to myself, this is just like the ride home that you do several times per week -- no big deal.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I will let you know after this weekend!

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
My life is pretty much an endless chain of random bizarre thoughts. I think that is why I'm so happy!

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
On a century its usually just thoughts of all kinds of food, any food. Like spicy food that would gut your stomach if you ate it on a ride...mmmmm....tacos.
On a double century its: "this is SO F'in STUPID. Why again am I riding a bike 200 miles?" And then you just keep mentally powering on, figuring well if I quit after 175, what was the point of even waking up and riding that morning. And then you try not to focus on the baboon as$ as your chamois rubs you raw.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have never done a century with a group.I have done quite a few by myself so my mind really tends to wander.The last hour/20 miles I get excited because I am that much closer to eating something tastey.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Always the same

Its that Jackson Brown Song "Running on Empty" That I keep humming....

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Dude, with the hours I work, finding time for even a 20 mile ride is impossible. The last time I did a ride in excess of 50 miles was January, and I felt so strong during that 50 that I sprinted the final 100 yards up a a hill.

All this lost fitness in the past 2 months, lost on sitting behind a desk looking at how badly people screw up their taxes.....

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
It depends upon how well the ride goes. On the routine rides, I'll start thinking about whatever little errands and chores in what's left of the day... and how to put them off. On the rides where I'm a little more gassed towards the end, my mind really starts dredging up all kinds of crap out of the wrinkles, creases and crevases of the gray stuff. I carry in the jersey pocket a small digital audio recorder to note stuff that comes to (my small) mind while out on the road (perhaps behind the wheel or wherever). Not that any of it is worth repeating here, but sometimes playing it back after a tough ride can be entertaining....

If some Tune From Hell begins an endless loop in my head, I'll substitute something worth 'listening' to such as Joe Zawinul's Birdland.

Okay, here's a recent one: During a rough upwind return leg, I was reciting Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky. No audio though....:rolleyes:

·
Armchair Director Sportif
134 Posts
Play by play

During college, my roommate and I followed the Bike Ride Across Florida route during our spring break. Toward the end of each day on the road, I started doing a play by play of what we were doing ... talk about really butchering Howard Cosell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts