Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just last night, as I go to bed, I hear a hizzing sound like someone is pumping chemicals into my apartment.

I turn on the light and my front tire deflated. This is the second time this has happened after putting 100's of miles on a tire/tube/wheel.

Are tubes supposed to just leak and die like that? Or is there a way to prevent this? I'm just glad it happened last night since I was going to race on these wheels this weekend.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Could be the same thing that happened to me. I had a tiny cut, about 1/8", that has been giving me problems. On my last ride, I changed the tube and finished without incident. I checked the tire afterward to see if it was holding air, and the pressure was fine. The next night I noticed it was flat. Turns out that tiny cut was the culprit, as it passed through the casing.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
But why?

CleavesF said:
Just last night, as I go to bed, I hear a hizzing sound like someone is pumping chemicals into my apartment.

I turn on the light and my front tire deflated. This is the second time this has happened after putting 100's of miles on a tire/tube/wheel.

Are tubes supposed to just leak and die like that? Or is there a way to prevent this? I'm just glad it happened last night since I was going to race on these wheels this weekend.
What you haven't done is tell us why the tube went flat. Was it a cut, a puncture, a patch failure, a valve failure, etc? Until you know why it flatted, there's no point in talking about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts