Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Random musings from my commute

The moment I let my mind wander on some backroad or bike lane. BOOM. The only pothole on the street; an errant bolt from something large enough to have held a transmission to a city bus; a small piece of 2x4; a piece of body work. Never when I am paying attention. Never

Brrrrwaaaaahhhh. The sound of the leafblower moving tons of dust, dirt and gravel from a property across the sidewalk and onto the street. Legal? I don't know. Annoying? Hell yeah.

Cat1/Pro cyclists cooling down from a workout. Epic bikes. Epic legs. Dormant personalities; comparable to things you kill with lysol. We are all part of the same group brohams, grow some personalities, chat up.

2 years ago all the skinny kids on 10 speed bikes looked like Napoleon Dynamite. Seth Rogen now. Fat kids, mountain bikes again, ungainly clothing, big afro style redish hair. How is that possible that every morning I see a Seth Rogen look alike?

Pigeons and doves. Fwap Fwap Fwap. They wait until the very last second to liftoff; ungainly and lumbering they just miss my head. I contemplate raising an arm to deflect the impact. Veering they slide by my head, slicing the air with their wings, narrowly avoiding an FAA report.

$8000 bike. $300 shoes. $250 helmet. Crumpler bag. Why can't you go fast enough to tow me to work? Why do you let me pass? I want an easy ride sometimes; huge legs; gear to support your chops; why?

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
that guy that is in like 7 movies every years since Superbad (I think) or that movie where he got that girl from that bad medical soap opera pregnant. You would know him if you saw him. I see him. Or a reasonable facsimile of him everytime I go through the UA campus.

I see Seth Rogen (whispering).

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Seems to me you spend a bit too much time thinking about what other folks are doing and whether they're doing it right by your lights. It's fun to observe things, but I try to relax and enjoy the world and its diverse types.

You don't even give the animals a break ;-) I never heard anybody call pigeons and doves "ungainly and lumbering" -- they're among the swiftest and most agile flyers in the bird world. The reason they lift off so late, and still miss your head, is because they CAN. They routinely fly 35-40 mph, and can hit 60 or more in short bursts. We on the bikes are the lumbering ones.

Anyway, one of the great things about bike commuting (as opposed to being locked in a car) is the opportunity to see so many more of those.little details.

Keep enjoying the ride.

Oh, I think the reason there are so many Seth Rogen lookalikes is that he cultivates a look that's ordinary, so all the doughy guys will identify with his character.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention: I saw a car with spinner this morning. Pulled out of an apartment complex near my house. Yellow Ford Focus. Spinners spinning in the morning sun. Like moonwalking in a car. I always thought that while excessive they seemed cool. Good that someone is rolling with them and they still work.

I submit that pigeons and doves on take-off are quite ungainly, they are like a C130 hercules on lift off; needing a long runway and huge lift. Sure they have huge thrust, even have an extra muscle that gives them that snap snap snap sound but they need to get their ungainly and large bodies airborne to become agile. Those moments between liftoff and soaring are dangerous for them. That is the reason that hawks like to flush roosting and grounded pigeons. Easy prey. I have felt primary feathers touch my helmet and the breeze from their wings when I have flushed them from a corner apex. Scary.

Now an agile avian is the gila woodpecker that flew in at my face, squawked at me, changed direction to match my speed and then zooming over my head only to return and flyby again, close enough that i could feel the breeze. Must have been near their nest as they are rarely aggressive birds.

Then of course the hummingbirds see the bright colors of our jerseys and will fly along with you all the while checking out your jersey as if you are standing still. Probably to them we are standing still; moving in slow motion maybe.

I love posting in the commuter forum. Seems no matter what I say I upset someone's sensibilities regarding their commuting philosophy and they never neglect to point out that my commuting philosophy is wrong or flawed.

I will not submit.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
You forgot about the bugs. Or maybe you don't have them where you are. This time of year, around here, it's like taking machine gun fire to the face. And now, the bigger ones are out. I got slapped by 3 big ol bugs all at the exact same time, on the way home tonight. This morning, it was swarms of gnats and skeeters. Nasty when they go in the mouth.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
I trained myself to look at the front wheel of the car waiting to come out of a driveway or side street - a spinner is truly frightening.

I've had a few rather unwarranted panic stops. :eek6:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
rockcrusher said:
...I love posting in the commuter forum. Seems no matter what I say I upset someone's sensibilities regarding their commuting philosophy and they never neglect to point out that my commuting philosophy is wrong or flawed.

I will not submit.
LOL, I love you man! :thumbsup:

BTW I want spinners for my bike!!! :smilewinkgrin:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
JCavilia said:
...Oh, I think the reason there are so many Seth Rogen lookalikes is that he cultivates a look that's ordinary, so all the doughy guys will identify with his character.

Ah, the "Lumberjack" look. Not much of that in DC that I see, likely the weather ain't conducive for that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a few things that I notice on my morning commute.

Last year, There was a Ford Explorer that would pass me around 5:45AM on my morning commute, and it reeked of pot. This guy must have smoked his breakfast everyday. The thing that pissed me off the most was that he would ride to close to me on the turn where we would meet. If you are high, it's dark, how good is his sense of distance. I have not seen or smelled him this year, so maybe he went "Amy Winehouse".

There is a female school teacher that walks about 4 miles to school like everyday, year round. She is in her 40's, and fit. We have been exchanging good mornings for the last 4 years.

The last one, is kind of creepy on my part, but I notice. There are 2 women that leave there shades up and window open. The houses are close to the road. "D Cups"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Today while riding through the local college campus I passed 4 cop cars in front of the frat house. Young man in cuffs on the porch. Interesting enough. But a block later I saw two young ladies running around the corner toward a dorm. Both were barefoot. And as I passed the street where they came from I saw the two cops who were looking for them. What was that all about? What is the story here? Were the two groups connected? Will I hear about it in the news tonight, or does it get swept under the rug? In the car of course - I'd never have seen any of it and my day would be that much more dull.

I love the observation....

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been passing an older gentleman that walks to the bus off and on for the last 4 years or so on my commute. We always say good morning. I'm always hammering up a climb at that point so no long exchanges. I finally stopped one morning and introduced myself. It was kinda cool connecting w/ someone that I would have never met if it wasn't for biking.

:)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I love you too, man

rockcrusher said:
I love posting in the commuter forum. Seems no matter what I say I upset someone's sensibilities regarding their commuting philosophy and they never neglect to point out that my commuting philosophy is wrong or flawed.

I will not submit.
Very minor philosophical differences, I suspect.

I almost ate a bug last night on the way home. First one this year.

I still think the pigeons are cool, though it's pretty cool to see a hawk catch and eat one, too. Witnessing those little nature-film scenes is another benefit of traveling by bike. Last year I rode past a young bird (probably a robin) that was learning to fly and had blundered into the street and couldn't quite make it back onto the curb. I decided to give it a helping hand, and turned around in the next driveway, not 10 seconds later, but before I could get there a small hawk (sharp-shinned or Cooper's, I think) swooped across the street and pounced on it.

You get a fantastic variety of birds down there in AZ, don't you? I always thought they should have changed the name of that football team to the Pyrrhuloxias (or maybe Pyrrhuloxiae?)

I've gotten used to spinners, but I nearly had the sh*t scared out of me a few times when they first started showing up a few years ago. I've had to learn not to rely on looking at the wheel to pick up a clue on the vehicle's motion.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Random observations from my commute this week:

Saw another bike commuter on Monday morning, something I rarely ever see. He was wearing a black jersey and shorts at 7 am, with no headlight or tail-light. I haven't seen him again. I'm wondering if he got run over or scared off from cars nearly hitting him.

My bike has been a red-light magnet all week. As soon as I approach a traffic signal, it turns red. It's kind of freaky wielding that sort of power.

The weather has been very warm, with temperatures about 60 F during my morning commute. Yet I can't make myself quit wearing my vest, and arm and leg warmers. I feel nekkid without them after wearing most of the fall, winter and spring.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
git nekkid!

tarwheel2 said:
The weather has been very warm, with temperatures about 60 F during my morning commute. Yet I can't make myself quit wearing my vest, and arm and leg warmers. I feel nekkid without them after wearing most of the fall, winter and spring.
Here in Connecticut, we had a 3-day April heatwave. It was over 70 for my morning commute yesterday, and over 90 on the way home. Woo-hoo! Shorts and t-shirt time. I be lovin' it. Today, back to vest, long-sleeve undershirt, legwarmers -- morning temp mid-40's, but should be 60-ish going home. Tomorrow morning, frost warning.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tarwheel2 said:
My bike has been a red-light magnet all week. As soon as I approach a traffic signal, it turns red. It's kind of freaky wielding that sort of power.
me too. One day I hit one of my 13 lights green. The rest? red the moment I hit that crosswalk. The the next day I hit half green and half red. Oddly I hit my bike crossing stop light green both on the way in and the way home. Lucky day indeed.

I was left turning and was behind a car, he slowed to do a u-turn and I passed on the right side of him. Scared the daylights out of him and he honked at me. What is astonishing is that he was on a cell phone, turning a u-turn, watching traffic and honking. How the hell did he do that? Extra arm? I loled.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
My observation from this morning: Each morning I see a jogger running on the shoulder with traffic, not against. I have to pass him from behind and he wears headphones so he doesn't hear me and this time of year he doesn't see my headlight. Each time I pass, it seems to completely startle him so it's kind of like passing a deer wearing underarmor. He usually has something rude to say and I usually ignore him because commuting makes me happy. This morning about 100 feet after I passed him I rode into a wall of rain. I looked at the radar before I left so I knew about it and was wearing my jacket. He was wearing shorts and a tshirt. Commuting makes me happy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
great observations!!
I used to always see the fairly attractive female on the MUT, she had a very unique riding style, always out of the saddle, we never spoke but she knows me. after about not seeing her for a couple of years, she came passed me on the left, standing out to the saddle, turned right across my path. then began climbing the adjacent hills, then repeated it at the next intersection. Nary speaking a word. I was getting the feeling she was either showing off her prowess or she could have been mocking me because I was I was always faster then her.
I just took off and dissappeared.

so weird, I think Ive seen her for at least 15 years. I would actually look for her along the path, but I'm thinking if I ever spoke to her it would blow the mystique of the standing lady on the bike path. ha ha! Any way all of this is better than eating the flying bugs along Ballona Creek!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
joggers

bigbill said:
Each morning I see a jogger running on the shoulder with traffic, not against. I have to pass him from behind and he wears headphones so he doesn't hear me and this time of year he doesn't see my headlight. Each time I pass, it seems to completely startle him so it's kind of like passing a deer wearing underarmor. .
Reason #1 why I put a bell on my commuter bike. A fog horn would be even better, but I don't want to carry the extra weight.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I often pass a beautiful athletic blonde walking her dog (a pit bull!) on part of my commute. We used to nod or wave at each other, but after a while she started looking away as I approached. My feelings were kind of hurt until I figured out that she was probably turning away to avoid looking into my bright headlight that I started running all of the time. Dang headlight!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts