Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this on my key ring for many, many years. Sometimes it makes me smile and think back on crazy times training and racing with my mates from back in the day.

Got any reminders you keep close by?

#waxing nostalgic...

Attachments

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I used to wear cycling-specific dog tags as a messenger. They were rimmed with pink rubber (less clanking) and had my name, an emergency contact # and blood type.

Don't know where they are, but I still have the messenger bag, and we started to use it for grocery shopping. Roomy and durable with a water-resistant liner, and easy to carry when full.

While dating, I showed John my titanium-spoke bracelet, and he took it, put it on his wrist, and hasn't taken it off since. I was a little miffed that he took my bracelet, but then he gave me the Tiffany version made of silver. Might actually just be an empty charm bracelet now that I think about it......!

Jewellery Ring Pre-engagement ring Metal Mineral

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I still cry a single tear when I'm reminded of the Campy fork tip bottle opener, that a friend gave me after a stage race when we were juniors in 1984... he won the overall, I was 2nd place by 1 second but we both knew that I was the stronger rider, so he kind of gave me this thing as a gesture of friendship and respect.

I carried it on my keyring for a couple decades, until one day in a rental car in suburban Denver, I somehow dropped the thing thru the hole in the trunk latch where it disappeared. I spent hours trying to get it back... coathangers, magnets, string... never got it out. That was a tough day, turning the car back in.

They still make them but I don't want a replacement, I want the one that I earned by racing hard and true friendship.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the making of a movie...

I still cry a single tear when I'm reminded of the Campy fork tip bottle opener, that a friend gave me after a stage race when we were juniors in 1984... he won the overall, I was 2nd place by 1 second but we both knew that I was the stronger rider, so he kind of gave me this thing as a gesture of friendship and respect.

I carried it on my keyring for a couple decades, until one day in a rental car in suburban Denver, I somehow dropped the thing thru the hole in the trunk latch where it disappeared. I spent hours trying to get it back... coathangers, magnets, string... never got it out. That was a tough day, turning the car back in.

They still make them but I don't want a replacement, I want the one that I earned by racing hard and true friendship.

I can see it now, one day one of your kids buy a used car (turns out to be THE rental car). In the process of installing a subwoofer in the trunk, he discovers this bikey looking key ring. He brings it inside to his dad and asks, "hey, you ever see one of these?"

Perhaps we can get N Sparks to write a best seller out of this...

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Many of you know I still have my original bike--not to ride, just to look at. It was the most money I had spent on a single purchase, and got raced from California to BC (and Alberta, come to think of it).

But I have very little else--40 years and a lot of moves tends to make things disappear.

I did save the one photo clipped from Bicycling where you can see me in the bunch at Nevada City (and you can see my best friend that made the trip with me from Vancouver)...

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Shark bites, is that what they're called? What about the shredded remnants of pants? Seems like the right leg of every pair of pants I own has a frayed hem.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a cracked/scraped/bloody helmet from my accident in 1994 to remind me of the hazards of passing stopped traffic on the right. It hangs on the inside of my parts/tools cabinet door.

--------------

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
yup. looks like a shark bites your leg.

roll up your right pant leg. all the cool hipsters do it.
and me.
im not cool, but i dont have grease smudges on my right cuff. on the tandem i have to roll both pant legs up.

i did once have an entire pant leg get ripped off when it got caught in the chainring. that was an odd ride back home.

Shark bites, is that what they're called? What about the shredded remnants of pants? Seems like the right leg of every pair of pants I own has a frayed hem.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
did once have an entire pant leg get ripped off when it got caught in the chainring. that was an odd ride back home.

Ha, try that on a fixie! Once got my sweatpants caught, and with no coasting option and no brakes, it wasn't pretty. Your leg goes with the pants! :yikes:

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
did once have an entire pant leg get ripped off when it got caught in the chainring. that was an odd ride back home.

Ha, try that on a fixie! Once got my sweatpants caught, and with no coasting option and no brakes, it wasn't pretty. Your leg goes with the pants! :yikes:
twas a fixie. and cheap walmart threadbare camo pants.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I keep a Super Record downtube shifter on the keyring that has my Thule keys on it.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts