Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long time I've been using Sector 28 on Kinlin XC279 rims (about 80psi rear, 75psi front for my 160 pounds and chipseal roads). I know the tires may be the wrong fit for the rim according to many opinions and the website https://intheknowcycling.com/category/wheelsets/ (overwhelming informative site), but they were comfortable and reliable as a training wheelset.

Then I fubar'd the rear rim and it was no longer reliable tubeless, and this week I've been training with a pair of 23c GP4000S II on the XC279. Obviously set up tubed. Rear about 90psi and front 85psi.

I kinda of like the setup! Thought about 25c tires, but the aforementioned site led me to believe 23c tire on the 23mm wide rims is ideal. I'm thinking of keeping the 23c GP4000S II tires and tubes on til I get fed up with flats and purchase a lighter or wider tubeless-ready clincher.

Not looking for the latest and greatest since all my road time is training for mtb racing, and I'm sure my tune will change when a barrage of flats come my way (ugh, I never should've left tubeless), but I'm pleasantly surprised the narrower tire on a 17c inner rim isn't jarring my teeth out.

Wonder what difference or improvement 25c GP4000S II tires on the XC279 rims would be like at equal or near equal psi. That's be much less costly than buying wider lighter costlier wheels just to train with.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just a note... I've got about 4 different friends running the 279 rim tubeless with NO problems. Some are on 25's and some are on 23. Most of them like the 25's better.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Wonder what difference or improvement 25c GP4000S II tires on the XC279 rims would be like at equal or near equal psi. That's be much less costly than buying wider lighter costlier wheels just to train with.
For training purposes a bit more volume could mean a bit less pressure and a bit more comfort.
At equal pressures the difference is in the improvement of rolling resistance but this is academic relative to speed because it only looks at one of the variables at play.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Riding a larger tire at EQUAL pressure will give a FIRMER ride as having more volume will result in it deflecting less. If you go larger, you should lower your pressure a bit if you are seeking more comfort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts