Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Randonneuring is long-distance unsupported endurance cycling. This style of riding is non-competitive in nature, and self-sufficiency is paramount. "

-sounds like touring to me...?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Sporting Event vs Sporting Activity

Randonneuring is done in structured and scheduled events called Brevets. Brevets have a fixed route with pre-established check points. You must arrive at each checkpoint inside of pre-established time windows. If you don't your DQed. You're generally not carrying much gear while randoing and don't stay in any one point too long (if you did you'd DQ). The grand daddy of all Brevets is Paris Brest Paris. It's pretty much 84 straight hours in the saddle. Go to http://www.rusa.org/ and read about Brevets and the ever increasing distances involved as you progress through the sporting season.

Touring is bicyling camping. I could go out and begin a tour right now. I don't need a route, I don't need to know where I'm stopping. And nobody is going to check that I went X distance in Y time. Tours generally go over a much longer time period with more stops than most Brevets will ever run. Since touring often has some element of camping with it, you're carrying complete camp equipment with you. Go to http://www.adventurecycling.org/ and read what they have to say.

You'll see the difference quick enough.

Hope that helps.

·
Non non normal
10,103 Posts
One major difference is the time limit imposed on randonneuring. From what I have seen, it ain't no stroll through the park. You better have your act together and you have to ride some unbelievable hours to make the time limits.

If you are touring, and you see a nice Bistro or sidewalk cafe', you just pull over and enjoy. Only feel like riding 20 miles today, no problem. Want to take a detour to see a unique site, let's do it.

Saying they are the same is like my old girlfriend who looked just like Cindi Crawford, except she was shorter, her butt was bigger, and her face looked different.

ruger9 said:
"Randonneuring is long-distance unsupported endurance cycling. This style of riding is non-competitive in nature, and self-sufficiency is paramount. "

-sounds like touring to me...?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links.

Weird tho- "time limits" "checkpoints" and "disqualifications" all sound very "competitive to me, wheras rusa states "This style of riding is non-competitive in nature"...hmm...

And, with time limits, etc- what separates a brevet from something like the TdF? (Other than randoing is self-supported and apparently a constant event; i.e. no stopping for the night). So, Race across America is a brevet? Or is it Rando? Both?

·
Non non normal
10,103 Posts
Actually the RAAM would be neither because I believe the rider is fully supported by a team and all they have to do is ride.

I view the time of a Brevet as a race against yourself and the course as opposed to a race against other riders.

And, with time limits, etc- what separates a brevet from something like the TdF? (Other than randoing is self-supported and apparently a constant event; i.e. no stopping for the night). So, Race across America is a brevet? Or is it Rando? Both?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Leagues

On a Brevet. There will be no celebration of places, no podium, no KOM, no Green jersey. The competitive nature of a Brevet is in challenging ones self to do better than last time, or just to finish. Dale and Lon will likely be along shortly and will explain from personal experience the main point is challenging yourself to get to the finish line and not getting to the finish line before "that guy". I'm sure you know people who run marathons. Most of them run them not to win it, but merely for the challenge of the run and perhaps to have a better time than the last one. There's a Kenyon somewhere in the pack that's going to blow your neightbor "Bob" chance of a win, so Bob dosn't go to win the marathon he goes to run the marathon. I'd say most on Brevet are there with Bob's attitude, not Lances.

Race Across America is not a Brevet. The support car, multiple bikes, and support team, (and the level of athlete it's focused at) would move it out the Brevet catagory. Also there's a Brevet sanctioning body and RAM's not one of them they sanction. Cycling, like alot of sports, has different leagues with different rules for what is basically the same game. RAM, UCI, RUSA, etc are bicycle leagues with different game rules for the same game (or sport).

·
Non non normal
10,103 Posts
Scott,

Do you live anywhere near Eden Prairie? I travel there several times a year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scot_Gore said:
On a Brevet. There will be no celebration of places, no podium, no KOM, no Green jersey. The competitive nature of a Brevet is in challenging ones self to do better than last time, or just to finish. Dale and Lon will likely be along shortly and will explain from personal experience the main point is challenging yourself to get to the finish line and not getting to the finish line before "that guy". I'm sure you know people who run marathons. Most of them run them not to win it, but merely for the challenge of the run and perhaps to have a better time than the last one. There's a Kenyon somewhere in the pack that's going to blow your neightbor "Bob" chance of a win, so Bob dosn't go to win the marathon he goes to run the marathon. I'd say most on Brevet are there with Bob's attitude, not Lances. ).

Being a runner myself, I can relate to that- and brevets just got ALOT more interesting...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Results are published alphabetically not first to last.

My last name starts with Z so I'm in pretty much the same place, but the first time I saw the results, I was hooked. The first Brevet reeled me in. There's a genuine sense of fellowship that comes from sharing a challenge. Charity rides often work hard to build that sense of community. Randonneurs really seem to have it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.