Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so I'll start by saying this one was half my fault but for the love of god why don't people in this town turn their lights on when it rains?

i rode the fixer to class this morning. it has a front brake, no I wasn't wearing a helmet and I was in street clothes, so blah. I pay attention to traffic, compared to most of the fixie idiots I see here anyway. I don't run lights, I don't wear the ipod, and I stay paranoid, or at least I thought I did till this morning.

it's raining / snowing / fogging here today. no big, i've had wet ass before. I have a little Cateye headlamp barmounted thats pretty bright for what it is, and when it's gray out, I turn it on, plus my rear blinkie and up till now I figured I was visible.

to get where I'm going I make this downhill left off a main drag into a side street. as I'm making the left, a little gray import with no lights on comes shooting out from behind the bushes off a driveway on my destination road and I had to lock it up and slid / skidded / crashed to avoid going into their driverside rear fender. rear wheel went out from under (wet street) and I went smack down on my ass, on the ulock side naturally - ow, dammit! minor yardsale, light popped off the bar mount and my pump followed it into the gutter.

fortunately there was no major damage. thank jeebus I got one of those padded inserts for my laptop, so the powerbook is ok. chrome makes a nice product. now I have a wet AND sore ass, a ulock shaped bruise on my left buttcheek, a ding on my elbow and a new scratch on the nondriveside crankarm and so it goes.

to add insult to injury the driver didn't even acknowlege me or anything. it happened so fast I couldn't tell if they were on the phone or what. and some chicks just kinda wandered by without asking if I was ok but that's sort of par for the course on campus I think.

lessons learned : 1. wear your f'n helmet ALL THE TIME you flaming eejit! 2. cars. are. EVERYWHERE. even when they're not there, they're there. 3. get a better headlight (?) 4. trackskids are fun, I like doing 'em as much as any other nutbag except seriously not when my life is at stake. 5. people suck (I knew this but its nice to be constantly reminded of that fact).

thank you please drive through

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,416 Posts
In Illinois, if you have to use your windshield wipers, you must turn you headlights on. That's the law.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not to state the obvious sir, but I ain't from Illinois. mostly I won't gripe about Boulder drivers because they're a lot better than they were in St. Louis but one thing they don't do around here is turn on lights in poor conditions. if this car had even had running / parking lights on, I'd have been able to see it and slow down before he/she jumped out in front of me.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Glad you're all right. Most people here turn on their headlights when the conditions go to heck, but there are still those that don't. I've never thought too much about it as I'm more worried about being seen than seeing the cars most of the time.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I think I need an HID headlight.
Yes, they are obnoxiously bright. Yes, they can let even the most
brain-addled driver be aware of your ultra-bright presence. Scary
scene - no headlights in the fog? They might have been on some
kind of mind altering chemical or just in a damn hurry.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
In Illinois, if you have to use your windshield wipers, you must turn you headlights on. That's the law.
Correct, but I've never seen it enforced.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aliensporebomb said:
They might have been on some
kind of mind altering chemical or just in a damn hurry.
this was on campus so I'm thinking both.

by the way that's a really cool handle but I'm sorta afraid to ask where/how you came up with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts