Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Andrea138 said:
The best part is, she came in late, picked up the exam, and sat down for a few minutes, then brought it back up to me and said she'd have to take it on Friday since she didn't know the material.
Flunk-o-tronic, baby.

Added: The whole point of a test, I thought, was to determine your level of mastery of the material. She doesn't have to take the test at all, because she just TOLD you her level of mastery. None.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
People really hate it when you put their failing right back in their face. And they're not about to accept that, are they? It's this whole "personal responsibility" thing that they just don't seem to get.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
(no experimentation required)

Today, I gave an exam. I reminded students about the exam last week. Two students came in today and asked if they could take it on Friday because they didn't know that it was going to be today.
"I reminded you last week," I say.
One of them admits that she wasn't listening. The other one wasn't in class that day.

"It's on your syllabus," I say. The first one accepts this as her mistake and says she'll do her best. The second one continues to argue with me, telling me that she's been moving/busy/etc. and hasn't had time to look at the schedule or come to class. FYI- in this particular class, most of the class grade is based on attendance since a lot of the material is hands-on participation.

How can you expect a teacher to just give you extra time like that and think it's fair to other students?!?

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,086 Posts
There are so many changes I have made to my classes over the past few years to put into perspective just how out of touch kids are today from what reality is.

I changed my attendance policy. As an education professor, I now tell them that any more than one unexcused absence equals immediate failure of the course. Several argued this point, to which I reply:

"You take a job at a high school. One day, you decide you feel bad, so you decide to just not show up to work. All of those kids sit in a classroom with no teacher. They eventually decide to leave. One of those students leaves campus and is killed by a bus walking across the street. Who's fault is that? Theirs, or yours? The court will definitely know that answer."

The general response: "Well, that's different. I would be getting paid for that."

My response: "Think about this. You choose to get a sub for a job that you get paid for. However, you don't contact me about being gone for a class that, only by passing, will allow you to get a job that you can get a sub for because you get paid.? Is this correct?"

At that point, I tell them how much they are wasting (in $) by not coming to class. That does not make many of them sad, because in many cases, they are not the ones paying for it-mommy and daddy are. (A real shame)

The education system is set up now to be based off of regurgitation of hard facts. Actual coherent, rational, and considerate thought need not be applied to any activity students participate in (at least those that do not require a beer bong). Not to mention that 99.9% of the facts we ask kids about now are readily available from their iPhone at the simple push of a button.

It is not the education system that only needs reform, it is just one small part of our society that needs reforming. Parents need to actually be parents. TVs should not serve as babysitters. Email and texting are not the only forms of communication. If you want to cry, see how many ways students in a public speaking forum can destroy the English language, not to mention other languages.

Our emphasis on what is "popular" or "hip" in our society is completely backwards. We now judge a person's worth by how good looking they are or how good of an athlete they are rather than what they do for the environment, for their community, Its sad, and it will not get better any time soon. Kids simply don't have time to learn. Its too difficult and takes too much time.

Case in point:

Our most reliable news source in this country is on Comedy Central. Sarcasm, wit, and stupid facts all wrapped up into a nice, neat 30-minute segment, just long enough not to lose the viewers attention. Most people find The Daily Show funny. I find it to be sad. Mostly because it is truth from a man who does actually think with his mind.

Damn, just killed my coffee buzz.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
When I was in chiropractic school, we has a greek neuro prof. I'll never forget the idiot in the class (who never made it through and dropped after a year) who claimed to be a genius because he went to University of Wisconsin. He missed the final exam, on a Monday morning and came rushing in with about 15 minutes left in the exam period. He claimed that he couldn't take his exam because he wasn't ready for it, that he was out of town for a family emergency.

She knew, along with the rest of the class, that he had been on a bender for the entire weekend, not dealing with family issues (this was standard practice with him). Her response was "Fine, you can take the exam later. You're going to get a zero for now, and when you retake it, it will be averaged in."

Stupid didn't get this, and was visibly relieved. We never heard the end of it when he took the exam, got a 94, and had his 94 averaged with the 0 for the exam he never took.

So tell them sure you can take the exam later, but I'll average a zero in with it.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
punch her in the face.

kids need to learn responsibility. wtf is wrong with people.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Tell her to HTFU and then flunk her.

She's not worried about the other students. It's obvious by her comments that the world revolves around her and nobody else. Even if you try to explain otherwise, she just won't get it.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
is this another social experiment? let's go with liver stabbing too.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
God, my wife and her colleagues go on and on about this same schitt all the time!

sense of entitlement.....

no concept of "accountability".....

rationalize their own irresponsibility......

"it's about me, me, me, me,.".....

and so on, and so forth..

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Andrea138 said:
FWIW, the one that didn't argue is pretty young and the other one seems to be at least older than me. She was really mad at me.
Tell her you've been posting/busy/etc and really don't give a rats....:blush2: what her excuse is. Tell her to take some responsiblity to show up and participate in a class that she paid for.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
We are on the downward slope. Most college kids want to be told what to memorize for the test and want an A with no work.

We need educational reform at the lower levels so that kids are accountable for themselves and can think and not just memorize (as well as express themselves in writing) when they get to college.

At least this problem has not (IMO) made its way to the PhD. level.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Liver, stab.

Real life is tough, she'll learn or die.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I forgot about a quiz in my monday night class this week. When I got it back with an F, my teacher was like "What happened?" (I had gotten a 100 and a 95 on the last 2) and I told her I forgot about it and didn't study. No excuses. She handed me my paper and said "I bet you wont forget next time." I'll be paying more attention to the syllabus now.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
sdeeer said:
We are on the downward slope. Most college kids want to be told what to memorize for the test and want an A with no work.

We need educational reform at the lower levels so that kids are accountable for themselves and can think and not just memorize (as well as express themselves in writing) when they get to college.

At least this problem has not (IMO) made its way to the PhD. level.
But that's they way they have been taught from the beginning. Memorize the alphabet, memorize the multiplication tables, memorize the formulas. They have been trained to memorize and have always been rewarded for doing so.

It's also easier for the teachers to test memorization, than acutally evaluating how they problem solve, or if they really understand what they are being asked to learn.

I sat for the CPA exam with a guy that got the 3rd highest grade in the nation. He lasted about 3 months as a CPA. He knew all the answers, but couldn't apply them at all.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Tell her she can take the test later. Let her leave. Then give her a zero for not taking the test with the rest of the class. Deny that you ever told her she could take the test later.

Seriously, what business did she have getting mad? She screwed up, and now has to face the consequences. Part of growing up and all that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts