Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rant, so if you don't feel like reading about some whining then move onto the next thread.

To place an order through Performance and have the item delivered to the store (so you don't have to pay shipping) you first have to go to the Performance store to place the order. It's a pain in the a$$. That's two trips, one to make the order and the other to go pick it up. And it's not a technology thing either - it's only to get you to keep going to the store in hopes that you'll buy something. OK, so I go into the store and place the order. I give the salesperson on the line my name and apparently I share the same last name as another Performance member. So he keeps asking me if I'm him. I must've told him about three separate times that I wasn't that person.

It just so happens that day that I forgot my wallet so I had to use my wife's credit card (who was with me). The next day I happen to see the exact same item (NIP) on my local craigslist for $30 less. So I buy it there and call up Performance to have them cancel my order. But they can't find my order and say that it must've shipped and that I need to go to the store to cancel it when it comes in. OK, fine. Ten days later I come home to a message on my machine. It's my local Performance telling me that my order came in. Only instead of using my correct name, they're using the name of that Performance member who shares my last name. Tha's probably why they weren't able to find my order when I initially called to cancel.

So now I go to the store to cancel the order (just me and not with the wife). The sales person was at first hesitant to credit my wife's card with her not being there, but then said he would if I called her up and she gave him the information. So I get my wife on the phone and she's ready to go. Then the manager steps in and tells me it's store policy that they can't give refunds on credit cards unless the person is actually there. He tells me that it's for my own protection. But then he goes on to say that he can give me store credit instead. Let me get this straight. Assuming I'm out to defraud someone, Performance will allow that to happen as long as I spend that wrongfully obtained money in their store.

So I grab my order and leave in a huff. I guess that's what I get for visiting a big box store instead of my LBS.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
This is a rant, so if you don't feel like reading about me telling you that you are a cheap skate than move on to the next thread.

All this trouble to save the cost of shipping. If you had stayed home and ordered it online you could have shipped it back with no hassle.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Work!

Lifelover said:
...cheap skate...
If he took all the time he invested trying to save $10 or $20 dollars along with the time typing up this rant and his responses and put that extra time into working at his job he would have come out ahead money wise.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Not much of a rant.

For a rant this was not very entertaining or inventive-still I do like the touch with the dumb customer who shoots himself in the foot trying to work a deal.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
MB1 said:
For a rant this was not very entertaining or inventive-still I do like the touch with the dumb customer who shoots himself in the foot trying to work a deal.
It's always fun when that happens. One time at band camp....errr the LBS, a guy walks in with an ugly colored Pnuemo (size small) and proceeds to try and exchange for a white large. I said no (he had no reciept nor was he in our custie database) mentioning to him that we have never stocked that color helmet, which was the truth. In the bottom section of the two-piece box I notice a performance catalog and mention it to the guy asking if maybe he didn't forget that he really ordered it online. He left saying maybe he did. I look online and performance has that same size and color pneumo on sale for $40 off. Best I could figure he ordered thinking he'd return it somewhere for the size and color he wanted.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Karma (or, what goes around comes around)

It's amazing how some people will go to such lengths, just to save a few bucks. And aggravate themselves immensely in the process.... Was their net result, in dollars and intangibles worth all that effort? Almost always the answer is no.

Kinda like someone who drives all over the place, putting on an extra 30 miles, just to save 2 cents a gallon on gas.

Us humans can be crazy animals....

Ha! Not that I'm perfect! Far from it!

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Lifelover said:
This is a rant, so if you don't feel like reading about me telling you that you are a cheap skate than move on to the next thread.

All this trouble to save the cost of shipping. If you had stayed home and ordered it online you could have shipped it back with no hassle.
LOL Real Hard!!!

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
That's a pathetic rant. I have some very good reasons why I will never shop at Performance again, but in this case it sounds like you brought most of these troubles on yourself.

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Ah good old performance- the nice thing is after buying Nashbar and Supergo, they set the quality and service levels to the Performance standard. Wait, that's not good at all.

;)

·
Banned
211 Posts
Chalk it up to experience and move on. And don't worry about all the theologians ragging on you above for being cheap, because most likely several of them are some of the cheapest bastards you'd ever want to meet and they know it, though they won't admit. LOL

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That would be me.

But I am not going to moan-n-groan when I blow the pooch.

Might laugh a bit at myself. :eek:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow! Not many sympathetic responses on this one. Guess alot of people just love to buy top dollar at their LBS. It really was your fault for trying to save some money (you did bring it on yourself I suppose) -I don't understand why you didn't go down to your LBS, and obtained the same item for something like 80% more.

Having said that, if it meant you have to go down to the Performance store twice, I would have just ordered online -unless of course you needed the part on short notice. I do find the fact they won't give a cc refund but a store credit of twisted logic though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
lml1x said:
This is a rant, so if you don't feel like reading about some whining then move onto the next thread.

To place an order through Performance and have the item delivered to the store (so you don't have to pay shipping) you first have to go to the Performance store to place the order. It's a pain in the a$$. That's two trips, one to make the order and the other to go pick it up. And it's not a technology thing either - it's only to get you to keep going to the store in hopes that you'll buy something. OK, so I go into the store and place the order. I give the salesperson on the line my name and apparently I share the same last name as another Performance member. So he keeps asking me if I'm him. I must've told him about three separate times that I wasn't that person.

It just so happens that day that I forgot my wallet so I had to use my wife's credit card (who was with me). The next day I happen to see the exact same item (NIP) on my local craigslist for $30 less. So I buy it there and call up Performance to have them cancel my order. But they can't find my order and say that it must've shipped and that I need to go to the store to cancel it when it comes in. OK, fine. Ten days later I come home to a message on my machine. It's my local Performance telling me that my order came in. Only instead of using my correct name, they're using the name of that Performance member who shares my last name. Tha's probably why they weren't able to find my order when I initially called to cancel.

So now I go to the store to cancel the order (just me and not with the wife). The sales person was at first hesitant to credit my wife's card with her not being there, but then said he would if I called her up and she gave him the information. So I get my wife on the phone and she's ready to go. Then the manager steps in and tells me it's store policy that they can't give refunds on credit cards unless the person is actually there. He tells me that it's for my own protection. But then he goes on to say that he can give me store credit instead. Let me get this straight. Assuming I'm out to defraud someone, Performance will allow that to happen as long as I spend that wrongfully obtained money in their store.

So I grab my order and leave in a huff. I guess that's what I get for visiting a big box store instead of my LBS.

Had a bad time with Performance a few weeks back myself. I called the closest store to where I live and talked to an employee about buying a bike they had on sale. After talking myself into going ahead and buying the bike (wasn't really sure if I wanted to spend that much money on a bike ),and after several calls to the store to discuss sizing of the frame, I was told they had the frame size I wanted and the bike would be built up for me that night and I could pick it up in the morning. I gave them my name and phone number and told them I would be down the next day to get the bike before noon. I got there a little after noon and spent half an hour looking around as I had never been to the store before and they were having a big sale. I finally went up to the sales desk about 1 PM to see about getting the bike , and was told it had been sold to someone else the night before,even though the bike had been built up specificly for me, at my request. Now mind you , I had to drive for an hour to get to the damn store, and had they the decency to call me and tell me the bike was no longer available, I would not have driven all the way down there for nothing, as the frame they had bulit up was the last one large enough for my needs.To say the least, I WAS PISSED.They gave me a bullsh-- story about they thought the guy who came in and wanted to buy the bike the night before was me. Even though my name had been placed on the bike, and did not match the one the buyer gave.Then manager told me he could get me another bike the same size from a Performance store that was located about 100 miles away in about 7 to 10 days. I suggested that he should send one of his employees down there right at that time to get the bike for me, as it was their fault I had gotten screwed out of getting a good deal on the bike I wanted. He had no comment on that idea.In the end, he changed out a bike that was similar to the one I wanted and made it into one that was like the one they had built up for me to begin with.But the kicker was I had to come back the next day to pick it up, so I had 2 more hours of driving to look forward to.Now I am not blind, and saw what had happened. Instead of keeping my original bike in the back with my name on it, they put it on the sales floor and someone came in with cash in hand and offered to buy it. Not being ones to turn down a for sure sale,they sold the bike out from under me.I can understand their doing that, as a guarenteed cash sale is hard to turn down, not knowing for sure if I would even show up the next day to buy the bike like I had said I would.That being said, what really pissed me off was being lied to about the entire situation, and their not having the decency to call me and save me the 2 hour round trip down there when I wasn't going to get the bike I wanted. I asked the store manager if that was how he treated all his customers, of if I had gotten "SPECIAL " treatment. Needless to say, he had no comment once again.Seeing how this has gotten longer than I had intended, I will close with saying I will not tell you which store it was, just that you shouldn't go to the one in Fountain Valley, California if you like getting good customer service.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Hopefully you asked them to build up the second bike, told them you would come back the next day to pick it up, then never showed up. It only seems fair.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Ah....good ol' Performance/Supergo/Nashbar. What I love about the Performance store in Tucson is:

1. The piss poor selection of products.
2. The piss poor knowledge of the employees. Sure, it doesn't effect me, but some of the things I've heard them tell other customers are worthy of capital punishment
3. Crap customer service.

The best thing about Performance/Supergo/Nashbar is that there exist no circumstances under which I'd need to shop there. I'd rather pay more at a reputable LBS than reward crap service and stupidity with cash at Performance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Agreed if you're talking about the Tucson/Speedway store. It has become the "Big Lots" of bicycle shops in town.The original Supergo at this location, while no prize, was hi-end by comparison. Giant,Specialized and Felt are gone from Performance.....except for a few leftovers.

·
Registered
675 Posts
LOL, yep I've had customers like that!

teoteoteo said:
It's always fun when that happens. One time at band camp....errr the LBS, a guy walks in with an ugly colored Pnuemo (size small) and proceeds to try and exchange for a white large. I said no (he had no reciept nor was he in our custie database) mentioning to him that we have never stocked that color helmet, which was the truth. In the bottom section of the two-piece box I notice a performance catalog and mention it to the guy asking if maybe he didn't forget that he really ordered it online. He left saying maybe he did. I look online and performance has that same size and color pneumo on sale for $40 off. Best I could figure he ordered thinking he'd return it somewhere for the size and color he wanted.
That happened fairly frequently at one shop I worked at, since there was a Performance just down the street. Whenever they had blowout sales, they'd have piss poor selection and people would try to shiest us, but were never very good at it. They'd never put up much of a fuss, just kinda look dissappointed and walk out hoping we'd be dumber than them and do an exchange for them.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
mick wolfe said:
Agreed if you're talking about the Tucson/Speedway store. It has become the "Big Lots" of bicycle shops in town.The original Supergo at this location, while no prize, was hi-end by comparison. Giant,Specialized and Felt are gone from Performance.....except for a few leftovers.
Well, I haven't been in the Speedway store since it was converted "officially" to Performance, but the Perf. store that was at Kolb & Broadway: suck city. When Supergo was Supergo, the Speedway store was pretty good. Decent selection from clothes to parts.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
alienator said:
Well, I haven't been in the Speedway store since it was converted "officially" to Performance, but the Perf. store that was at Kolb & Broadway: suck city. When Supergo was Supergo, the Speedway store was pretty good. Decent selection from clothes to parts.

Not pretty good any more. They both suck now (Broadway store always did). I have had bad experiences with both of them, and there wasn't much in the Speedway store last time I was in there, about two weeks ago. The only thing I like at Performance is their tubes, and I can get those online without going in.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
This is the only bit for which I have sympathy with you.

They should have refused the refund on two counts.
  1. You aren't the cardholder, nor are they present
  2. You changed your mind on a special order item
Tough Sh()t.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts