Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(rant on) I'm in the process of signing up for fall Century rides and I've found that many of the ones I've ridden before have secretly raised their prices by charging an extra $12 to $20 for the t-shirt! I know they need to make money too but some of them are nearly doubling the price if you want the t-shirt; which I do. Dagnabit:mad2: (rant off)

P.S. Imagine if I paid then I got the pumpkin shirt?! I'd be pissed.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Why do you hate pumpkin charities?

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MikeBiker said:
Why do you hate pumpkin charities?
I meant The Pumkin Shirt.... hmmm where's that picture?

...oh, here it is. Imagine if I paid extra for the t-shirt and got this one!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
zeytin said:
I meant The Pumkin Shirt.... hmmm where's that picture?

...oh, here it is. Imagine if I paid extra for the t-shirt and got this one!

Here's another one:

:D

joe

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
This is why I have stopped paying to pedal. The Seagull is the worst of the offenders.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i'd rather have them separate out the shirt rather than charge more for the event.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tomk96 said:
i'd rather have them separate out the shirt rather than charge more for the event.
But they are charging more; the price is the same but the t-shirt is no longer included.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
T-shirt said:
I saw that shirt earlier this year. It's kind of like the shroud of Turin.

Like:thumbsup:

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
I've done enough events over the years that generally I don't want a T-shirt anymore. I rarely wear the ones I have and feel it's a waste of resources to give me one. If it's new event for me, and the shirt looks pretty cool, then I will pay extra for it.

I imagine the cost of running these events has increased a lot. Food prices up, insurance costs WAY up, and I know the costs of shirts is up as well. (I work at a YMCA. We buy a lot of shirts.) Can't run a century on $20 a person anymore.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
theBreeze said:
... Can't run a century on $20 a person anymore.
It is rare indeed that we ever spend $20 to do a century. We usually spend less than $5 each to do one.

Not counting dinner of course! :blush2:

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
MB1 said:
It is rare indeed that we ever spend $20 to do a century. We usually spend less than $5 each to do one.

Not counting dinner of course! :blush2:
i've never felt the need to pay to ride 100 miles. i can easily find 100 miles worth of road to ride starting from my front door...

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
asciibaron said:
i've never felt the need to pay to ride 100 miles. i can easily find 100 miles worth of road to ride starting from my front door...
^^ That. And... well... more of ^^^That.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
asciibaron said:
Sadly for me, if I haven't paid then I'll remember all my other responsibilities and not go riding for that long. Plus I like seeing new places and the camraderie.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
asciibaron said:

Well you get other stuff when you pay the entry fee.

You know, like a t-shirt.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
zeytin said:
But they are charging more; the price is the same but the t-shirt is no longer included.
i get that. you pay for the shirt one way or another. they need to account for the cost of the shirts in some way shape or form. people aren't going to run events where they know they are going to lose money. i'll forgo the shirt to have a lower entry fee. if they raised the price, they'd just need to raise it more to include a free shirt.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
We've only done 2 organized rides the last 5 or so years. Each comes with a jersey. It's always a nice jersey, but my only complaint the last few years is that the jersey is friggin black.

If you sign up early you get socks, if not you can pay $11 for them.

I have no idea who this is, but it's the 2009 jersey

1 - 20 of 29 Posts