Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have little respect for them now that they put a 135$ price tag on simple gloves!

and 375 dollar long sleeve thermal jerseys!

they nuts! you can get better stuff for wayy cheaper, but i geuss everything is like that.

its not even a brand yet, vuitton is a brand, thats why they charge crazy.

rapha is just fat old men marketers preying on the apparent rich riders who buy 10 000 colnagos and dont ride in the rain.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...08-rapha-softshell-winter-gloves-4589..1.html

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
They aren't the only one. For the most part, I don't buy cycling apparel anymore unless I find it for a significant discount at a place like Chainlove, or house brand stuff like Performance. While Rapha, Castelli, etc are nice looking, I find it hard to believe that their stuff is 50-70% better based on what they charge folks. One of the biggest shams in retail to be sure. But hey, what are we going to do? :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
E 12 said:
I find it hard to believe that their stuff is 50-70% better based on what they charge folks. One of the biggest shams in retail to be sure. But hey, what are we going to do? :)

We should cross-dress. I mean, buy from a different sport. Head to your local REI, online at Black Diamond, Mountain-Gear etc.. There you find stuff better made (hey, it is designed for Ice-Climbing.. a little rougher than the coffee-shop) Allows great movement, wicks away... all for a lot cheaper than designer POS with a cycling label.

Maybe these cycling companies will get the message when they see everyone wearing North Face, Black Diamond, Mountain Hardware etc..

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If you buy last years stuff, its often 30-40-50 off. I have a castelli jacket for the coldest weather, that is exceptionally nice. As for rapha, the only thing I'd wear is if my wife bought me one of the wool jerseys with the arm warmers. They are also exceptionally nice, relatively lightweight, and wool, which imo is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
in general though, 100 bucks for wool gloves is -like-totally- rediculous.
that said. i work for a company that sells a 4 thousand dollar toilet....

·
waterproof*
41,613 Posts
I think the Rapha crew are marketing geniuses, actually. They've identified a niche within a niche, and seem to be commanding premium prices. Exactly what the textbook says to do, if you don't want to be a commodity player.

That said, I'm not their target market, so unless it's a gift you won't see me wearing their stuff. No doubt it's nice, but yeah I can buy 3 or 4 wool jerseys for that price.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
AidanM said:
i have little respect for them now that they put a 135$ price tag on simple gloves!

they nuts! you can get better stuff for wayy cheaper, but i geuss everything is like that.

rapha is just fat old men marketers preying on the apparent rich riders who buy 10 000 colnagos and dont ride in the rain.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...08-rapha-softshell-winter-gloves-4589..1.html

"it's not even a brand yet"... what does that mean? hey, if you can't/won't pay for it, then don't. I'm sure they don't really care that you "have little respect for them". apparently there are people who can afford their stuff and will pay the premium, and that's their target consumer. not sure why you're taking their marketing/pricing practices so personally. kinda like saying [insert any high priced premium product] is a joke cuz the price is too high for you. I'm won't pay those prices, but so what? :confused:

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I think the Rapha crew are marketing geniuses, actually. They've identified a niche within a niche, and seem to be commanding premium prices. Exactly what the textbook says to do, if you don't want to be a commodity player.

That said, I'm not their target market, so unless it's a gift you won't see me wearing their stuff. No doubt it's nice, but yeah I can buy 3 or 4 wool jerseys for that price.
i'd never waste a dime on them, but you are correct.

some info on the company, and it's marketing strategies, here.

G

·
AidanM said:

Here's a thought ................

Don't buy it.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
how is this any different from Assos or Rock and Republic and such?

·
Banned
328 Posts
AidanM said:

I hate to love them and love to hate them. Simple jerseys that show the lifestyle of cycling with no loud logos. Give me some more. Their prices, and it's made in Chine and fits like junk - no thanks. I tried a country jersey on sale, this thing was way to lose in the waste with no elastic. It was a large and I'm 6'3" 185 and it was lose on me (fit fine otherwise). It really is made for fat guys. Too bad.

My favorite - Belgium knee warmers. A site all about wearing embrocation over actual material like, say, a knee warmer - has partnered with Rahpa for a $70 knee warmer. You. . . .have . . . . got . . . to . . . . be . . . .kidding. The irony is so think I laugh out loud and we're not talking alanis irony, either.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
good strategy

Targeting affluent, status-obsessed customers always seems to work well - if the economy is strong. As long as there are other choices I have no issue with it

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I've begun to wonder what the current economy is going to do to these ultra high end companies.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CleavesF said:
how is this any different from Assos or Rock and Republic and such?

well assos is pretty top notch stuff, heck they invented the cycling short, and apparently the put a lot of fancy tech into their gear, but i do agree that a lot of their stuff is reeaaaalllyyyy pricey, but at the same time it look pricey. ya know what i mean, their fugujack is overpriced, but it still looks expensive casue its so top notch.

whereas rapha isnt the best gear, and it just jacks its prices casue it tries to act all sophisticated and snobby and hip

as for rock and republic, its a womens jean maker BRAND, clothing for women is always overpriced.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Not Necessarily

Creakyknees said:
Not to throw this into PO, but as the D's are fond of pointing out, Rapha's target market generally does well in all economic conditions.

There are certainly a small set of folks whose disposable income is such that cost is no object. Then there is the set of folks that are doing OK and "buy up" to gain status/prestige etc. Those folks will back off of the luxury items in tough times. There are just not enough super-rich cyclists to make an entire market. You need the wannabes to. After all, isn't people buying up to status houses they could not afford what got us into this mess anyway?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I fail to see....

:cool: ..how this is even an issue for discussion---why would you buy it or even consider LOOKING at a line like this when there are so many other better (read: less expensive) brands out there? As was mentioned in various other replies: buy the brand within the price range you like instead! :rolleyes:

G

·
I honestly don't know what you all are whining about.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I like it, and I buy it.

I like wool jerseys, and of the wool jerseys I have Rapha is no more expensive.

It wears well, it washes well.

And, I hate to prick your self satisfied balloons, I'm not even fat.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. No big deal.

But grow up and quit whining.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.