Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
These are two things I can definitely say I never expected to see mentioned in the same sentence.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
This makes the now-owners look like the most massive idiots, since Facebook's insane valuation.

Finally, kit that can be worn with a department store bike.
Rapha has yet to sell kit fitted/sized to your avg WallyWorld shopper...

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This makes the now-owners look like the most massive idiots, since Facebook's insane valuation.
Rapha has yet to sell kit fitted/sized to your avg WallyWorld shopper...
People of Raphamart facebook pages is also in the works.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
People of Raphamart facebook pages is also in the works.
It already exists.

Rapha has a "Cycling Club"...where you pay $200 per year, to be on a bike ride list and get spammed with "sales". In exchange for which, Rapha (now WalMart) gets to data mine you.

No. I am not joking.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
It already exists.

Rapha has a "Cycling Club"...where you pay $200 per year, to be on a bike ride list and get spammed with "sales". In exchange for which, Rapha (now WalMart) gets to data mine you.

No. I am not joking.
I am more of a see what kits are on closeout sale on Competitive Cyclist kind of guy, but you have to admit, their approach is pretty clever. Rapha is banking on the fact that many people are too lazy/shy/busy to do this stuff on their own (find like minded people to ride with), so they are pre-packaging cycling culture. It's like processed cycling coolness. Oh, and it's working btw...

How Rapha pedalled its way to success in cycling fashion - BBC News

https://www.insideretail.com.au/blog/2014/01/07/cycle-success/

Rapha co-founder and chief executive Simon Mottram on why the cycling company split from Team Sky | City A.M.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-09/rapha-and-how-to-look-good-on-a-bicycle

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Isn't Rapha for the poor people who can't afford Assos? lol j/k

Jokes aside, I've never found any of their (Rapha) clothing interesting enough for purchase. They remind me of the fake Chinese stuff that sell on ebay.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
I am more of a see what kits are on closeout sale on Competitive Cyclist kind of guy, but you have to admit, their approach is pretty clever. Rapha is banking on the fact that many people are too lazy/shy/busy to do this stuff on their own (find like minded people to ride with), so they are pre-packaging cycling culture. It's like processed cycling coolness. Oh, and it's working btw...

How Rapha pedalled its way to success in cycling fashion - BBC News

https://www.insideretail.com.au/blog/2014/01/07/cycle-success/

Rapha co-founder and chief executive Simon Mottram on why the cycling company split from Team Sky | City A.M.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-09/rapha-and-how-to-look-good-on-a-bicycle

Their approach was clever...

And yet the owners cashed out to the single most-toxic-to-their-image/culture vultures you could pick from. There's nothing less hipster-y that WalMart buying you out.

10,000,000 points to the founders for getting the billionaire Waltons suckered.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It already exists.

No. I am not joking.
The rides now stop at the Golden Corral instead of Starbux

·
Registered
7,197 Posts

And yet the owners cashed out to the single most-toxic-to-their-image/culture vultures you could pick from. There's nothing less hipster-y that WalMart buying you out.

I can agree with that in theory (unless it keeps working), it's definitely a huge risk. The two cultures/brands are about as incompatible as two cultures/brands can be, but keep in mind this is the Walmart heirs' investment arm that is purchasing Rapha, not the company Walmart itself. The average Rapha lover may not even be able to tell Walmart folks are involved if they play their cards right. Rapha will just have more resources to grow and try new projects. It could be an interesting case study if nothing else.

It was clearly a smart business move by Rapha though.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Now we need Rapha clad shopper photos in Walmart ...
Bibs don't lend to asscracks showing however

but hey they paid 260M for Rapha... that's a lot of money

·
Registered
6,016 Posts

Rapha isn't being bought by Walmart. Rapha is being bought by an investment firm that includes the Walton grandsons

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
Rapha isn't being bought by Walmart. Rapha is being bought by an investment firm that includes the Walton grandsons
Important distinction...Rapha isn't being bought by the vultures of Walmart...they're being bought the vultures who run and own Walmart. Which is an improvement, how exactly?**

**At a a guess...a tax dodge. Unsurprising searching for "RZC Investments" turns up a whole lot of nothing more than 24 hours old.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Important distinction...Rapha isn't being bought by the vultures of Walmart...they're being bought the vultures who run and own Walmart. Which is an improvement, how exactly?**

**At a a guess...a tax dodge. Unsurprising searching for "RZC Investments" turns up a whole lot of nothing more than 24 hours old.

How are they vultures? They overpaid for a company sells overpriced Chinese made clothing

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
How are they vultures? They overpaid for a company sells overpriced Chinese made clothing
Uhh...they're the Waltons? Remember the company that made them billionaires? WalMart, and its business ethics?...Remember, the billionaires who refuse to let workers work enough to get benefits?

Some of the biggest beneficiaries of Trump's Obamacare "repeal and replace" tax cuts BTW...were....guess who? The Waltons.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts