Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any fixes for a rattling internally routed brake housing? I was thinking maybe a couple of rubber band "donuts" (like those that go around cables, only larger). Any thoughts?

This is my first bike with internally routed anything-- is the rattle an unfortunate fact of life, or can it be remedied?

Thanks,

soup

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
soup67 said:
Anyone know of any fixes for a rattling internally routed brake housing? I was thinking maybe a couple of rubber band "donuts" (like those that go around cables, only larger). Any thoughts?

This is my first bike with internally routed anything-- is the rattle an unfortunate fact of life, or can it be remedied?

Thanks,

soup
Just In case you didn't know (I didn't know this for sure until I looked at a bike-building site and saw the process, and I even have an internally-routed bike): internal cable routing has a piece of tubing running from the front opening on the top tube to the back--the cable doesn't just flap around loose inside the top tube.

If you could get some grease down in the tube that's inside the frame, you might get some damping effect, but I think it would take a lot of grease. Maybe a wrap or two of electrical tape at strategic places over the length of the housing that's inside the frame would help.

I think I'd try putting a wrap in the center, and one at half that distance on either side of that, and I'd wrap the tape "funny." I'd put a single layer of tape, but I'd do it so that on either side of the housing there was a small fold of the tape (stuck to itself) protruding. This is hard to explain, but you've probably done it 1000 times trying NOT to do it on an electrical project. The end result is that the cable has little "wings" on it. You might even make it so it has three wings, to cover all your bases. To insert the cable, simply smooth the wings down--they'll stand back up a little once inside.

Note, I've never tried this--it's totally a thought experiment--and there may be some issues with either inserting the "winged" or even just taped cable or removing it later, so you do this at your own risk. No implied warranties, etc.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No tube . . .

Mine is a Felt-- it does not have the guide tube. I've seen the tube you are talking about on Kleins for sure. I simply run the brake housing through and out the top tube.

I like the tape idea, or maybe a couple of those squishy things that some folks put on their pencils and pens.

You're right though, the trick is going to be getting whatever I put on through the opening in the top tube (and removing same when I replace housings). Fortunately, my Felt has a largish opening at the back end into which a plastic housing guide fits. Might be just enough room.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

soup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts