Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Rattling Headset

10K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Bikinfoolferlife 
#1 ·
My headset rattles like crazy. I've tried tighteing it but it still rattles. What could be the problem and how do I fix it?

Thanx

#6 · (Edited)
I assume you have a threadless headset, threaded headsets are adjusted differently (adjust the lock rings on top of the headtube). Was the headset correctly adjusted and then you changed stems or did some other work on it? If you have a 1 1/8 inch steerer tube and are using a 1 inch cap, you may not be able to set the preload. Are there enough spacers under the stem so that the top of the stem is 2-3 mm above the top of the steer tube, you may need to add more spacers. Then make sure the stem bolts are loose enough to allow the stem to slide up and down the steer tube. Tighten the cap bolt to set the preload on the bearings. Then secure the stem bolts. If this does not work I'll need more info about what caused the headset to become loose.

#7 ·
Yes it it a threadless headset. I had to replace the headset. I think that's when the rattling started. The cap is a 1 1/8 inch cap. I haven't changed that. When I added a spacer the top of the stem was at least 2-3 mm above the top of the steer tube. I've tried making sure the stem bolts are loose enough to allow the stem to slide up and down the steer tube and then tightening the cap bolt. That didn't make a difference.

Thanx for your help

#8 ·
Did you get the headset adjusted properly after the replacement and the rattle started sometime afterwards? Is there 2-3 mm difference between stem/steerer when you push down on the stem and up on the fork to remove any play, if there is you need another spacer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.