Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
( s t i c k y r e q u e s t )

Mark your calendar - May, 7th 2006

For the second year, I'm putting together a team to ride the Napa installment of the Tour de Cure hosted by the American Diabetes Association. Last year's team fielded 6 riders and raised over $5,000 for diabetes research. Now we're back, with lofty goals and a ton of motivation. Riders of any caliber are wanted to raise donations and enjoy a great afternoon cycling in the Napa Valley with your fellow RBR brethren and sistren. The course is a gentle 100 miles with very little climbing and the scenic appeal of the Napa Valley does not disappoint.

There is a registration fee of $15, the cheapest century you'll find anywhere, and a minimum fund raising amount, last year's was $100, easily obtained. The century is well supported with a good meal and cold beer at the finish.

http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=team&fr_id=3324&team_id=125729

Next Steps:

1. Join up with the team on the link above
2. Create your personal page under the team page (I can assist with photos)
3. Email friends, co-workers, anyone who would want to sponsor you
4. Sponsorship can be made by check or secure donation online

PM me with any questions and thanks much for your support.

BTW, there are many Tour de Cure rides around the country. Anyone want to start their own team?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fieldstone rest stop

Hey Fogdweller;

I'll be running the rest stop at Fieldstone Winery again while my wife does the ride. I'm working on a theme for the rest stop that you should find amusing.
Same deal as last year; I'll haul jackets, armwarmers, etc. back to the finish in exchange for a frosty beverage :D
Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the RBR gang out there...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey Foggy

I'm in. Couldn't pass this one up. Had a blast last year! Really looking forward to it again. Hope the weather in Billings continues to be mild so I can get some miles in before hand. I'm down in So. CA for part of Feb, and I brought my bike. Looks like some great riding down here.

To all those lurking who are contemplating or even vaguely considering doing this ride--do it. It is a great first Century. I'd just recently started riding before we did it, so it is very doable.

·
Registered
309 Posts
johngfoster said:
Hey Foggy

I'm in. Couldn't pass this one up. Had a blast last year! Really looking forward to it again. Hope the weather in Billings continues to be mild so I can get some miles in before hand. I'm down in So. CA for part of Feb, and I brought my bike. Looks like some great riding down here.

To all those lurking who are contemplating or even vaguely considering doing this ride--do it. It is a great first Century. I'd just recently started riding before we did it, so it is very doable.
What sort of pace did you do it at? I'm probably going to do it, but need to run it by the wife.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Started off at a mod. 15-17mph, then eased it up a tad to around 20mph in a paceline. This really surprised me how easy it is to ride in a paceline. My best speeds riding solo at the time were around 17-18mph ave over 20miles. When they say drafting cuts back about 40-60% of the work they're not kidding!

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, what John said... Last year we were blessed with a pretty strong tailwind down the Silverado Trail out of Calistoga. We were in the high 20s for most of that stretch and sometimes in the low 30s spun out. We did our best to stay together but when there was a splinter, we always regrouped at the rest stops. I envision it will be part social pace and part hammerfest in stretches. Guaranteed there will be someone to ride with whatever your pace is.

Rushfan said:
What sort of pace did you do it at? I'm probably going to do it, but need to run it by the wife.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Fogdweller said:
Ya, what John said... Last year we were blessed with a pretty strong tailwind down the Silverado Trail out of Calistoga. We were in the high 20s for most of that stretch and sometimes in the low 30s spun out. We did our best to stay together but when there was a splinter, we always regrouped at the rest stops. I envision it will be part social pace and part hammerfest in stretches. Guaranteed there will be someone to ride with whatever your pace is.
That pace should work for me. I'm going faster this year, so I should be able to stick with you all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
impressive!

Fogdweller said:
Thanks Ignatz. Let me know your flavor and I'll pick up a sixie.

Not only does the fogdweller organize the RBR team for this edition of TdC, but he'll ride the first 30-40 miles with a chilled-down sixer to reward the wonderful efforts of a fellow RBR'er running a rest stop!

I am looking forward to doing this event again this year...last year was spectacular. Thanks again for organizing, and, I'll carry a single to lighten yer load! ;)

Rash (aka Jeff)

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great to have you aboard Jeff. Those winter miles you've logged will come in handy...
BTW, John Foster is in Pakistan right now doing earthquake relief. What a guy!
rash said:
I am looking forward to doing this event again this year...last year was spectacular. Thanks again for organizing, and, I'll carry a single to lighten yer load! ;)

Rash (aka Jeff)

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
This is awesome!!

We'll throw in 2 of those super-comfy roadbikereview.com long-sleeve jerseys. I'll let Fogdweller choose the winners... most money raised or something...

francois

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
francois said:
This is awesome!!

We'll throw in 2 of those super-comfy roadbikereview.com long-sleeve jerseys. I'll let Fogdweller choose the winners... most money raised or something...

francois
Francois, that's awesome!! So, that's one jersey for John Foster and one for whoever is the distant second...

·
Registered
309 Posts
francois said:
This is awesome!!

francois
Are you going to join us? You're in NorCal, right?

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Curdman said:
...as long as you guys knock off the Floyd jokes!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in June.
Right on Curdman! It will be a pleasure to ride with you again. So the team sits at 7: 3 rookies and 4 returning riders. I'm still working on some other people and hope to have a group of 10 for the day. I'm also going to try and arrange a pre-ride for us in April, somewhere central to us all.

Also, ride is May 7.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Fogdweller said:
Right on Curdman! It will be a pleasure to ride with you again. So the team sits at 7: 3 rookies and 4 returning riders. I'm still working on some other people and hope to have a group of 10 for the day. I'm also going to try and arrange a pre-ride for us in April, somewhere central to us all.

Also, ride is May 7.
Sounds good. April's booking fast for me-the 22nd&23rd I'll be away, and the 30th is the Chico Wildflower. Maybe the 15th? The 16th is Easter...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Back from Pakistan

Fogdweller said:
Francois, that's awesome!! So, that's one jersey for John Foster and one for whoever is the distant second...
Now, now. This year'll be a little different for me as I don't have quite the fund-raising base of support as I did last year. It'll be more work, but we'll see how things go. Really would like to have one of those jerseys though! It'd be great to have Francois join us.

Pakistan was incredible. I took about 1000 pics and almost filled up my 1GB memory card. So much need and so little hope. Really beautiful people. And if you were crazy enough to risk cycling on the roads over there with all the traffic, there is some amazing cycling to be had by the looks of things.

See ya'll in May

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Floyd look-a-like?

Curdman said:
...as long as you guys knock off the Floyd jokes!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in June.
So, Curdman, am I to assume you look kinda like Mr. Landis? If that is correct, I'll pitch in for a portion of a phonak team kit for ya so you can really freek people out at the event! (the sick BMC bike will be out of the question though ; ) )

Jeff (aka rash)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rest stop requests?

So I checked the Team RBR fundraising site. They've reached 93% of their goal. Looking good people!

Does anyone have any specific (reasonable :) ) requests for changes/improvements to the rest stops? We just finished a conference call with all the rest stop captains and it looks like we're pretty organized this year. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see added/removed/changed and I can pass it along.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tailwind?

Ignatz said:
Does anyone have any specific (reasonable :) ) requests for changes/improvements to the rest stops?
Hey Ignatz, thanks for checking in!! Your rest stop is top shelf all the way but I'm sure some will check in with requests. How 'bout a tailwind?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts