Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<table width="950" border="0"><tr><td>
Monday, 6:46 pm — Hollywood sends DrRoebuck an email: "Look at this cool pannier box on sale at Nashbar! Order it or you're a looser."

6:47 pm — DrRoebuck reminds Hollywood that he spelled "loser" wrong, then proceeds to order said box.

Thursday, 11:37 am — DrRoebuck receives pannier box from Nashbar. Thinks to self: This is a cool pannier box!

Friday, 10:25 pm — DrRoebuck prepares for RBR ride the next day. Packs his box with camera gear, lights, etc. Pauses to admire box: "What a cool pannier box!" he says aloud.

Saturday, 8 am — DrRoebuck wakes up. Yawns, stretches, looks at clock. Thinks to self: I'm up early! I'll leave by 9 am and ride around before we meet.

9:45 am — DrRoebuck prints out cue sheet for the day and starts covering it in tape for faux lamination.

10 am — DrRoebuck carries his bike down the stairs and starts off for Downtown.
<table width=700 border="0"><tr><td>
<hr size="1" width="650" noshade>

Venice Blvd. Taggers: "OMG! A blank billboard! Hurry up and hit it!"
<br><hr width="650" size="1" noshade>
</td></tr></table>
11:15 am — DrRoebuck stops at parking garage he scouted using Google Earth and Training Day, the movie. He goes around the block, looking for an entrance to the seemingly closed and fortified structure. Finally, at the far end he finds an open door, sneaks through, and rides up 14 floors to the roof.

11:22 am — DrRoebuck contemplates the sadness of how horribly polluted L.A. air is after the effort he made to find this great shooting location. RBR Group Ride, Episode 1: The Empire Strikes FAIL.
<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>

Looking west over the Santa Monica Freeway.
</td></tr></table>

A stapler, slightly obscured by an aging bottle of hand-sanitizer.
</td></tr></table>

Ripping off the shot from Training Day.
<br><hr width="650" size="1" noshade>
</td></tr></table>
11:30 am — DrRoebuck continues on to Union Station to meet the cool RBR peeps, and Hollywood.

11:33 am — DrRoebuck checks his pocket and realizes he left the taped-up cue sheet at home. RBR Group Ride, Episode 2: The Legends of the FAIL.

11:58 am — DrRoebuck arrives at Union Station, meets roadfix, grrlyrida, joedaddio and bentsloechainringit.

12:10 pm — DrRoebuck looks at Blackberry 8800. Sees text from Hollywood: “Flatted. Might be a tad late.” RBR Group Ride, Episode 3: The Quick and the FAIL.

12:20 pm — Hollywood arrives via rail, with Mapei and Il Sogno in tow.

12:27 pm — Hollywood gives DrRoebuck ATMO pin, imported all the way from Portland via e-Richie.

12:35 pm — After talking bikes and cameras for a little bit, the crew rolls out to the first destination.

12:48 pm — The group arrives at Lost Souls, a hidden café in an alley off 4th Street.

12:50 pm — Oddly enough, there’s nowhere for anyone to lock their bikes. They soon manage to stack/lock their bikes to railings and pipes. Pictures, lunch.

Sogno’s feet.
</td></tr></table>

The Lost Souls Café, where we had lunch.
</td></tr></table>

A gate with a banner on it. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.
</td></tr></table>

<table width="350" border="0"><tr><td>

The Harlem Alley, location of the Lost Souls Café, where we had lunch.
</td></tr></table>

A wall with a banner on it, with some pipes in the backround and a lamp. HTH.
</td></tr></table>

<table width=”352” border="0"><tr><td>

Mapei shows his true rebel colors in this black-and-<br>white image, taken in the Harlem Alley, location of<br>the Lost Souls Café, where we had lunch.
<br><hr size="1" width="300" noshade>
</td></tr></table>
1:45 pm — DrRoebuck realizes that one of the three screws keeping his cool new pannier box attached to his rear rack has fallen out. RBR Group Ride, Episode 4, O FAIL, Where Art Thou?

1:48 pm — After lunch the crew rolls up Broadway to the Bradbury Building.

1:49 pm — They’ve found the one street in L.A. without parking meters. Having nowhere to lock their bikes, they assault the Bradbury Building in shifts.

They say that I won't last too long on Broadway
I'll catch a Greyhound bus for home, they all say
But they're dead wrong, I know they are
'Cause I can play this here guitar
And I won't quit till I'm a star on Broadway

Sloebentnkchainitring, followed by Sogno. Oh my god, Hollywood (the xtracycler, not the extra) is in the background.
</td></tr></table>

Inside the Bradbury Building.
</td></tr></table>

The opposite of outside the Bradbury Building.
</td></tr></table>

View outside from inside the Bradbury Building.
<br><hr size="1" width="650" noshade>
</td></tr></table>
2:05 pm — Our crew continues the journey toward the Our Lady of Angels Cathedral. Mapei comments on how of all the buildings in L.A. he hates that one the most.

2:05 pm — Mapei and Il Sogno peel off before the group reaches the cathedral, supposedly enroute to a “jam session.”

2:10 pm — Our heroes arrive at the Our Lady of Angels Cathedral and take Temple to the top of the day’s first hill, only to find out the entrance is back at the bottom of the hill. RBR Group Ride, Episode 5, Apocalypse FAIL.

2:11 pm — They ride into the atrium of the cathedral. DrRoebuck: “Where’s the handicap ramp?” DrRoebuck finds said handicap ramp and proceeds to ride up it. He is quickly swarmed by security. RBR Group Ride, Episode 6, Sex, Lies & FAIL.

2:15 pm — Unable to even wheel their bikes into the cathedral, our faithful group is forced to find a place to lock them. Luckily, they’ve found the only other street in L.A. without parking meters. Once again, they’re forced to shoot in shifts.

Our Lady of Angels Cathedral. Isn’t it beautiful, Mapei?
</td></tr></table>

<table width=700 border="0"><tr><td>

The gift of God.*

(*Sales tax not included.)
</td></tr></table>

Outside the cathedral.
</td></tr></table>
2:45 pm — Our heroes depart the cathedral and head for Angelino Heights.

2:56 pm — After more hills, they arrive panting and sweating at Angelino Heights. The second-oldest neighborhood in L.A. Lots of cool Victorian homes. Lots of girls skipping along the sidewalk being followed by white vans with camera crews.

Angelino Heights.
</td></tr></table>

Our bikes in Angelino Heights.
</td></tr></table>

Sleazefest ’08 continues.
</td></tr></table>
3 pm — Roadfix and grrlyrida head off into the sunset. The group is now down to DrRoebuck, JoeDaddio, Sloebentringchainitnk and Hollywood.

</td></tr></table>

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
<table width="950 border="0"><tr><td>
3:10 pm — JoeDaddio, DrRoebuck, Hollywood and Chainbentitsloeringnk swing by Echo Park, then down Glendale blvd toward the 2nd Street Tunnel.
<table width= “350” border="0"><tr><td>

Hollywood, wearing a pink helmet and sleeveless jersey. You do the math. (nttawwt)
</td></tr></table>

<table width=”350” border="0"><tr><td>

Lovefest ’08: Hollywood and DrRoebuck taking more pictures of each other.
<br><hr size="1" width="300" noshade>
</td></tr></table>
3:45 pm — Our heroes arrive at their next photo-op: Angels Flight. Though they don’t have pictures to prove it, the sleaze-fest continues as Hollywood “helps” a girl do a handstand in front of the landmark.

Angels Flight — A trolley car used to transport lazy people from Hill Street to the top of Bunker Hill.
</td></tr></table>

Oh my God. Hollywood taking “aerial” shots of Angels Flight.
</td></tr></table>
3:54 pm — Discussing our plans going forward, JoeDaddio declares, “I’ll catch the 8:30 train.”

3:55 pm — POP! Fffffffffffffffffffffffft. Hollywood’s rear tube blows out while the bike is stationary. Hmm. Odd. RBR Group Ride, Episode 7: No FAIL for Old Men.

3:57 pm — “No problem!” Hollywood boasts. “I don’t have a spare tube but I have a patch kit.”

3:58 pm — Hollywood patches his tube, then pumps air back into the tire.

3:59 pm — Fffffffffffffffffffffffft. RBR Group Ride, Episode 8: FAIL by Northwest.

The 2 Live FAIL Crew.
</td></tr></table>
4:15 pm — Hollywood calls Drif Cycles in Downtown to see if they’re open. Good news: They’re open. Bad: Being urban hipsters, they don’t sell 26” tubes. RBR Group Ride, Episode 9: One FAIL over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

4:20 pm — Drif gives us the number for another cycle shop in Downtown. DrRoebuck and Sloeringbentitnkchain head off for rescue mission.

4:25 pm — DrRoebuck and Chainitlsloebentnkring arrive at El Maestro bike shop on Main and 8th. DrRoebuck goes inside to buy tubes. While carrying his pannier box, realizes they might be able to help him out. “Hai, guys, can you give my box a screw?”

Inside El Maestro bike shop.
</td></tr></table>
4:35 pm — DrRoebuck and Chainitlsloenkringbent arrive back at Angels Flight.

4:50 pm — After Hollywood fixes his tire, our heroes head off to their next destination: the Training Day parking garage.

5:15 pm — Our four riders arrive at the garage. DrRoebuck goes in through the out door, followed by JoeDaddio and Hollywood. nKbentsloechainringit mysteriously does his own thing. Hollywood waits for him, while JoeDaddio and DrRoebuck ride 14 stories to the top of the garage.

5:23 pm — While circling at the top waiting for the others, DrRoebuck spots a security guard marching toward them. Security guard: “ a;lkjd fa;ljd f;alsjd f;al fj;alsfda.” DrRoebuck: “What?” RBR Group Ride, Episode 10, The Thin Blue FAIL.

5:45 pm — After the stunning defeat at the parking garage, Hollywood suggests they cruise up to the Standard.

5:55 pm — Our heroes arrive at the base of the Standard, managing to somehow find the third street in L.A. with no parking meters.

6:10 pm — Our heroes find pipes/railings to which to lock their bikes to, then head up to the Standard, a rooftop lounge with a bar, pool, individual waterbeds and really cool “it” people. It’s the most prententious place DrRoebuck has ever been in his life. DrRoebuck: “This is the worst place I’ve ever been.” RBR Group Ride, Episode 11: The FAIL Hereafter.

View from the Standard.
</td></tr></table>

A ficus.
</td></tr></table>
7:05 pm — After admiring the ATMOsphere at the Standard, our heroes decide to move on. The plan: 6th Street Bridge across the L.A. River to Boyle Heights, find the film set, then back across the L.A. River.

7:15 pm — After cruising through the nearly torn-down film set, our heroes begin their journey back to Olvera Street for dinner.

The last shot of the night from DrRoebuck.
</td></tr></table>
7:30 pm — Our heroes arrive at Olvera Street for margaritas, tacos and mole.

7:31 pm — DrRoebuck realizes the screw from El Maestro has come out. RBR Group Ride, Episode 12: FAIL and Deliver.

7:45 pm — DrRoebuck realizes his ATMO pin has fallen off. Probably at the Standard. RBR Group Ride, Episode 13, Get FAIL.

8:15 pm — About to part ways, Hollywood asks DrRoebuck if he wants some straps for his box. DrRoebuck: “I’m sure it will be fine.”

8:16 pm — DrRoebuck goes south, Hollywood, bentnkchainringsloeit and JoeDaddio head north. Goodnight, fellas.

8:30 pm — JoeDaddio sends text message to Hollywood: “Dude, I missed my train.” RBR Group Ride, Episode 14, In the Company of FAIL.

9:34 pm — DrRoebuck comes to a stop on 8th and Western. Looks back at pannier box. Now the middle screw has torn itself out and the entire box (with a few grand worth of DSLR gear) is dangling by one screw. He coasts ever-so-slowly across the street. Halfway through the intersection, two dudes roll by on bikes. “Hey, man,” they yell. “We know you.” DrRoebuck: “From where?” “We work at El Maestro. You were getting your box fixed.” “No way! Hai, it broke again. I’m pulling over. See you guys later.” Yes, really.

9:35 pm — DrRoebuck takes off his arm warmers and uses them to tie his cool new pannier box to his rack. Only 12 miles or so to go till he’s home. RBR Group Ride, Episode 16, The Prince of FAIL.

10:27 pm — DrRoebuck finally makes it home. The first thing he sees when he walks in: the cue sheet.

The FAIL sheet for the day. All taped up and ready to go.
</td></tr></table>
11 pm — After dropping off JoeDaddio, Hollywood gets stuck behind a 5-car pileup on the 91 freeway. RBR Group Ride, Episode 17, Do the Right FAIL.

11:23 pm — DrRoebuck goes to sleep. His head hits the pillow. He closes his eyes and looks forward to a good night’s sleep.

Sunday, 4:30 am — DrRoebuck is awakened by screaming girls at a party next door. RBR Group Ride, Episode 18, Remember the FAIL.

**Disclaimer: This ride was not proposed, hosted, directed, organized, participated in, viewed or talked about by anyone. All times approximate.

</td></tr></table>

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Great... now I've got to follow that? Way to set the bar high, jerk.

Two options: mail it in or give it a shot. Considering that I've only got 15 min or so left on my internet connection, I think I'm mailing this one in.

Pictures to come shortly.

joe

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoeDaddio said:
I had to do our ride justice.

Pix now, commentary later?

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
"This ride report makes MB1's reports look like a ride to gramma's house."
-Joe Nobody, Daily News

"To Ride and Fail in LA is daunting, harrowing - a midnight ride through the human heart."
-Tanner Johnson, iheartmovies.blogspot.com

"Best ride report so far today."
-Channel 4 news

"Hollywood has never looked sexier."
-JoeDaddio, The Lounge

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
no doubt.

Q. what's left to say?
A. nothing.

I'll post some lame pics in a bit.

was it that big of a Fail-Fest? perhaps it was. Especially the prequel of my 2 flats at home trying to get out the dog-gamned door, which resulted in a last minute bike swap to the double-wide. Nice.

nice RR, DrR.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
1) My bike on the train... yay!

2) Inside Lost Souls.

3) Bent-it

4) HW makes a new friend....

5) HW's new friend yells a Dr. Short Stuff for riding his bike.

6) HW scopes out the goods: "A quinceanera means they're women now..... right?"

7) Group shot!

8) HW modeling his flask

9) My bike is awesome

10) Bent-it.... again.

11) HW: anything for the shot!

12) I actually captured the exact moment of an epic fail.

13) Roebuck tries to look helpful while Bent-it checks out Roebuck's goods.

14) This really is a sad shot...

15) Bent & Roebuck at the li-bary

16) I seriously have no idea what's going on in this picture...... Look for Bent's left hand.... (nttawwt)

17) Night shot!

18) Voted: "Best nachos EVAR!"

19) Roebuck: proving you can order a peach margarita while wearing reflective clothing and still look dead sexy

20) Food! Finally!

21) Corgi'd!

22) HW with the big save! (Gracias amigo. I owe you big time!)

joe

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Appreciate the great story. Isn't it amazing how so many things can go slightly wrong?

Great pics, but we needed more of the group and a photo-documentary of the pannier that wouldn't stay put.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
These are all pics from my P&S. I'll have my Holga stuff developed this week, but I'm going to San Jose on Wed... we'll see if I can get it back before then.

ps: GIGANTIC thank you to Hollywood. Much appreciated. Can't thank you enough.

joe

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Day late and a bike short.

I arrived in Downtown LA from Baltimore about two hours ago. I was starving and the only place that I could think of that would be serving real food at 3:00 p.m. was the Original Pantry, so I went there for lunch. Now I am back at my hotel getting ready for a deposition tomorrow. I am thinking of taking a walk around Downtown -- and then going to sleep -- I have been up since 2:00 a.m. LA time.

If I had known about the bike ride yesterday before I made my travel plans a few weeks ago, I might have traveled out here a day early. Over the years I have spent a lot of time in Downtown LA (not my favorite part of town, but the courts and lots of law offices are here). But, I never have ridden a bike Downtown. If I finish early tommorrow, I might go out to Santa Monica and try to rent a bike for a few hours.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Best photo post ever. Makes mine even unworthy of posting on the fridge. Hey Roebuck, are you coming to Cooper's? I have a Silca with your front wheel's name on it. :D

·
Non non normal
10,140 Posts
Awesome thread. I really enjoyed the creative picture taking.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.