Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RBR Predictions TdF 2014; post by 2014 Start time

Hi, Everyone - I am again hosting the TdF predictions thread on RBR.
Put your predictions for: Yellow Jersey. Also, try to predict the three podium positions, if you dare.
If you dare, also post: Green Jersey, Polka-dot, White, Red, and Team.

I will review predictions and at the end of Le Tour 2014.
The only predictions I will consider are those plced up to the moment le tour begins. I will consider your most recent prediction. I will only consider definitively worded predictions - If you say, "Froome looks pretty good this year," that is not definitive. Neither is "Contador is the favorite, so he has a good shot."

Once the 2014 route and start time are announced in the fall, I will note the deadline for posting predictions, in U.S. time zones.

I will scrounge this forum for any firm predictions in other threads, and post a link to that thread here, as well, so I can keep track of all predictions. Thanks! -PJay

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LA

Sky [fill in the blank], and after watching the new 2013 Schleck, Evans, and Contador, Lance figures out the favorites are now clean. He and WADA announce they have privately set up a probation for LA, and have been testing him for 2 yrs. TdF has partnered in this, so they can get some actual viewing interest in the States. Versus carries Le Tour live again.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Gotta hand it to you PJay - you are certainly getting the jump on this as the 2013 TdF just ended!

Here's my prediction:
1) Porte
2) Quintana
3) Froome
Green: Sagan
White: Quintana
KOM: Quintana
Red: Valverde
Team: Sky

You did say you'd go with our latest right? :D

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump.

Predictions need to be in by actual start time, which by TdF official site seems to be local time 11:10AM in Leeds, site of the first stage.

Leeds is in British Summer Time (BST) time zone.
11:10AM Leeds time is the same as 6:10AM eastern time, 5:10AM central, 4:10 AMmountain, 3:10am left coast.

Plan accordingly. Predictions after that start time won't qualify for my review at the end of it all, of how well the knowledgeable riders at RBR are at picking TdF winners.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Yellow- Contador. His team looks stronger than Sky, and he looks stronger than Froome.

#2 Nibali. Also stronger than Froome but unsure of his team.

#3 Froome. Sky is in tatters as I see it. A few good guys, G, Wiggo, Kiryienka, Knees. Porte is nowhere near last year's level. Froome is unknown. I will be surprised if Sky win, and not surprised if they don't even podium.

Green Sagan, but Cav may have more stages. I think Cav will do very well, he skipped the Giro, is in peak form and loves his home crowd.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Can I wait until after the Tour de Suisse and Dauphine?
I'm hoping froome gets his ass handed to him by at least AC.
It'd also be nice if Porte attacks froome on the Tourmalet. :p

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Assuming no crashes ... or pre-race crashes

1st - Contador
2nd - Froome
3rd - TJay

Green - Sagan
White - Kwiatoski
Polka - Voeckler

·
have droids, will party
582 Posts
Assuming no crashes ... or pre-race crashes

1st - Contador
2nd - Froome
3rd - TJay

Green - Sagan
White - Kwiatoski
Polka - Voeckler
Voeckler for the KOM? I dunno... I think he'll opt for trying for stage wins vs. points as usual.

Also, I know others have picked Sagan for the green again, but he hasn't quite looked like everything has fallen in place this year. I'd like to see him do it again, but I have my reservations on that.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bump. I am trying to figure out my guess. Considering the RBR crowd typically does not do too well, I am thinking about officially going against my own opinion.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
1. Contador
2. Froome
3. Valverde

Green- Kittel
White- Talansky
Polka- Mollema

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Gotta hand it to you PJay - you are certainly getting the jump on this as the 2013 TdF just ended!

Here's my prediction:
1) Porte
2) Quintana
3) Froome
Green: Sagan
White: Quintana
KOM: Quintana
Red: Valverde
Team: Sky

You did say you'd go with our latest right? :D
Given developments, I suspect my prediction will change.

Porte has had a year to forget.
Quintana not in it.
Froomie weak in France/Switzerland this week.

Mulling things over...

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
1. Contador
2. Froome
3. Valverde

Green- Kittel
White- Talansky
Polka- Mollema
Edging towards this, however I suspect a Spanish Armada alliance early on to the detriment of Froomie and Sky - so I'm thinking about flipping your 2 ad 3 here.

May be crazy thinking, but I see Tinkoff Saxo and Movistar working together to shell Froome/Porte, then once Sky is safely in the rear-view, fighting it out for the two top steps on the podium.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going with anyone's most recent predictions as of start time.

--I am continuing to favor Froome at this point - it is good form to sandbag a bit leading up to TdF, plus you don't want to peak early, or be a marked man from the start.

This applies to every rider, and makes this time of year a challenge to interpret.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Lack of Quitana throws in some question marks. I had him top 3, and polka dot jersey.

1. Contador
Green - Cav
White - Talansky

I really don't know what to say about the other 2 spots on the podium. Part of me thinks Nibali has yet to really peak so he might be in the mix.

·
have droids, will party
582 Posts
Surprising that after the Dauphine result no one has plugged Talansky into this. I still think Contador is looking good for Yellow, but Talansky looks good for at least a podium spot and a possible upset if the others aren't careful.

Contador almost reeled Talansky back in solo, but it was still a superb move by Garmin overall.

Either way, the Tour is shaping up to be a pretty interesting one.

·
Registered
519 Posts
May be crazy thinking, but I see Tinkoff Saxo and Movistar working together to shell Froome/Porte, then once Sky is safely in the rear-view, fighting it out for the two top steps on the podium.
Hmm ... maybe not crazy thinking at all. You just got me wondering.

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
Edging towards this, however I suspect a Spanish Armada alliance early on to the detriment of Froomie and Sky - so I'm thinking about flipping your 2 ad 3 here.

The Spanish did not work together last year to try to unseat from, I doubt they will this year, either. If other Spaniards teamed up with Contador, they would think they were just handing Contador the win.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts