Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
esven89 said:
hey Dave, you mentioned you had a bunch of parts...have anything that could be used on this project?

I have a Nishiki Aero frame/fork in size 56 that would be probably make a better fixie....Let me post some pics tonight..I'll donate to the cause

Moderators Note: I created a new thread out of the original so it doesn't bet buried....

This is the original thread http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=163321

Long story short, RBR is going to help out a college student(Esven89) build a bike...His original choice of a Motobecane Nomad was going to cost a lot to convert so we are helping out.

I've donated frame/fork/headset/seatpost and BB....Others have offered more parts..

let's use this thread as the offical project bike thread..I locked the other thread

Thanks

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I concur with a lot of the sentiment above. The "kickstand-mount chainstay bridge" is a dead giveaway that this is a low end frame. We've seen more than our fair share of customers (mostly kids) bringing low end Peugeots, Motobecanes, and even a Gitane or two into our shop for the "fixie conversion."

By the time they're done with the hassles of French threading and the ensuing lack of inexpensive replacement parts, they'd invariably be better off searching out a Japanese frame from the same era.

Of course, those frames - generally better made with as good or better tubing and universal BSC threading - are commanding higher prices. The low end French stuff is being given away. But they'll make up the difference in the availability and cost of needed replacement/upgrade parts.

My advice, take up Dave's very generous offer. He's a man of his word.

·
Registered
220 Posts
+1

Take up Mr. Hickey's offer. He'll do what he says he'll do and you'd be crazy not to take him up on it. Building up that Motobecane is a fool's errand.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Richard said:
I concur with a lot of the sentiment above. The "kickstand-mount chainstay bridge" is a dead giveaway that this is a low end frame.
Unless it says rivendell on it, at which point it's the sign of a $2000 4130 frame.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dave, going with what everybody else is saying i will definatly take you up on your offer...heck, if you want it designed a different way i'll even design it for you!! since your being so generous. Thank you so much everybody who has chimed in...

Dave: PM sent..

Eric Svendsen

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
esven89 said:
Dave, going with what everybody else is saying i will definatly take you up on your offer...heck, if you want it designed a different way i'll even design it for you!! since your being so generous. Thank you so much everybody who has chimed in...

Eric Svendsen
Eric, it will be boxed up and sent tomorrrow.....I'll throw a couple of other bits in the box too....it probably needs a strip and respray but at least it's english threaded....enjoy.....

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
esven89 said:

Eric Svendsen
I'm inspired by Dave's generosity. I'll send you a decent Sugino crankset and/or some other parts if you PM me with a shopping list. I'm in Thailand now, but I can ship when I get home in about 10 days.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
O.K., Eric. This has now become a "Road Bike Review Forum" community project. I know I don't have "parts laying around" on the scale of Mr. Hickey but if you put together a want list, PM it to me and I'll see if I have anything.

And, as we can see you have decent photographic skills, you are now obligated to "document" this build.

I think many of us here remember the days when we had more enthusiasm and love of bicycles than money. You're in good company.

Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
thank you everyone who is chiming in to help me. I will keep you all updated on the build. Also, for the people i sent PM's to, i am trying to organize it so i just get one of everything and not three stems lol.

Once again, thank you for all of your generous offers!!!

Eric Svendsen

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
LtSpeed03 said:
I gotta say that this is the coolest act of cycling generosity I've seen! Good stuff!
The kid showed enthusiasm and a willingness to put the effort in. Just look at how much he put into prepping a marginal frame.

We're all rooting for him.

This is cool!!:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
ok, what do you guys think of me doing something like this to the nishiki Dave is sending me...Also, anybody have any idea on the tires...I spent almost 1 hour looking for something simialr online but had no luck..

Eric

·
Registered
40 Posts
i forgot, i should mention i'm not like most of the other college kids who want a sweet trixie...I prefer classics...foreign classics lol

1 - 20 of 88 Posts