Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...ack-cries-foul-over-lombardy-exclusion_139646

The team claims to have been assured of participation in the October 16 event, the ‘race of the falling leaves’ and the final one-day classic of the cycling season.

However earlier this week organizer RCS Sport issued a list of participating teams that did not feature RadioShack. It is the second major snub of the season for the American outfit, which was not invited to the Vuelta a Espana. The team itself surprised some by opting not to send a squad to May’s Giro d’Italia

A statement from the team on Friday read: “In January 2010, an agreement was reached between Team RadioShack and RCS Sport regarding the participation of the US Team at the Giro di Lombardia (Tour of Lombardy) 2010.

“Totally surprised, Team RadioShack learned through the press, on September 6, that it was not included in the list of teams participating at the Italian event.
Very interesting if true.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I suspect that contract also included the Giro and/or other RCS conditions/races and thus they are wasting people's time at CAS since they probably already voided the agreement by their prior conduct.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
An oral contract is worth the paper it's printed on.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
fornaca68 said:
An oral contract is worth the paper it's printed on.
Depends where you are.

Under UK law a verbal contract is still binding. As for enforcing it, that's another matter!

It's interesting that the Velonews article claiming that it was lost in the post has not been repeated and there has been no comment from RCS either way....

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
ultimobici said:
Depends where you are.

Under UK law a verbal contract is still binding. As for enforcing it, that's another matter!

It's interesting that the Velonews article claiming that it was lost in the post has not been repeated and there has been no comment from RCS either way....
In the United States verbal contracts are also binding, having followed the Anglo system of jurisprudence. The point is you don't sue on on oral contract because you're not going to win.

Lost in the post, huh? :idea: That's like saying the dog ate it. And I imagine Team Radioshack management didn't bother to keep a copy.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
fornaca68 said:
In the United States verbal contracts are also binding, having followed the Anglo system of jurisprudence. The point is you don't sue on on oral contract because you're not going to win.

Lost in the post, huh? :idea: That's like saying the dog ate it. And I imagine Team Radioshack management didn't bother to keep a copy.
No need now that Pat has had a word!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radioshack-added-to-lombardy-line-up

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess they did have a contract.

A revised race line-up has today been released with RadioShack added to the original list of 25 teams. Race organisers RCS Sport have been given permission by the UCI to include RadioShack as the 26th team in the race provided that the overall number of riders does not exceed 200.
RadioShack gets an entry, RCS gets tons of free publicity and the UCI gets to feel important- everyone wins?!?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Coolhand said:
I guess they did have a contract.

RadioShack gets an entry, RCS gets tons of free publicity and the UCI gets to feel important- everyone wins?!?
Only problem being that several teams only get to field 6 riders while most get 8. What's the reckoning on TRS being in the group with a full 8 starting?

Fair ain't the word that comes to mind.

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ultimobici said:
Only problem being that several teams only get to field 6 riders while most get 8. What's the reckoning on TRS being in the group with a full 8 starting?

Fair ain't the word that comes to mind.
If I had to guess ProTour standing maybe? The whole thing is pretty unclear. I have happy all the teams stayed in, no legit protected rider from any team is cut. Plus we had something to talk about in September. . .

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it gets stranger still:

from velonews:

RCS Sport, which organizes the October 16 event, said that UCI ppresident Pat McQuaid had agreed for a 26th team —RadioShack — to be admitted to the event, which had listed 25 teams last week. VeloNews reported on Friday that the initial RadioShack exclusion was an unintended oversight by the race.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts