Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my chain over the weekend and in by biggest cog in the rear, I hear the RD pinging against the spokes. I do not hear it when just spinning the bike freely but when riding and under load, there is some pinging.

I assume the fix is to adjust the low limit screw to make the RD move slightly away from the spokes. I have a weekend of some big climbs so my lowest gear needs to be in tip top shape.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
sbindra said:
I changed my chain over the weekend and in by biggest cog in the rear, I hear the RD pinging against the spokes. I do not hear it when just spinning the bike freely but when riding and under load, there is some pinging.

I assume the fix is to adjust the low limit screw to make the RD move slightly away from the spokes. I have a weekend of some big climbs so my lowest gear needs to be in tip top shape.
Based on the information you've provided. Yes, tighten you low limit screw and recheck.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
sbindra said:

yes...make sure you take care of this right away as you can wreck your wheel if the der goes into the spokes.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

· Registered
103 Posts
When you have the bike in a stand or at least more or less standing up straight, check and see that there is a striaght line from the cog the chain is in through the RD pullyes. If its not it could be either a bent RD (pully cage or body) or a bent RD hangler. This of course assumes you have adjusted the low limit screw to ensure the RD does not get caught in the spokes.

If the RD hanger is bent you can take it to your LBS and the should have a tool for adjusting it back in to being square with the dropouts.

· Registered
103 Posts
When you have the bike in a stand or at least more or less standing up straight, check and see that there is a striaght line from the cog the chain is in through the RD pullyes. If its not it could be either a bent RD (pully cage or body) or a bent RD hangler.

This of course assumes you have adjusted the low limit screw to ensure the RD does not get caught in the spokes.

If the RD hanger is bent you can take it to your LBS and they should have a tool for adjusting it back in to being square with the dropouts. Unless you have the proper tool and know how to do this its best not to do this your self as you can damage the hanger beyond repair. If its not a replacable (bolt on) one you could be SOL or having to send it off to a frame builder to be repaired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.