Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surfing the Shimano techdocs, I started comparing a DA RD piece and a 105 RD. Most of the part numbers are the same! :eek: Surely there must be something else that differentiate these! Am I missing something?

· Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
You're missing about 32 grams.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frdfandc said:
DA has titanium hardware.
Hmm.... not according to the Shimano site. In fact the latest rd7900 has plastic body. :confused: While the rd5700 is Alu. I am sure this has to do with weight. But I guess the Dura-bility will be a bit compromised. The older rd7800 were Alu however.

This is not to deride DA. But I was expecting more distinction when it comes to internal parts vs the lesser models. In fact I think DA shares the same outer/inner plates with Tiagra & Sora. :yikes:

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts

· Rub it............
3,929 Posts
The only a small part of the derailleur is plastic. The rest is cold forged aluminum.

And as I say titanium hardware, I mean the cable pinch bolt.

The inner and outer plates are carbon fiber. But they are painted/colored to match the rest of the derailleur. Its not a natural carbon color.

· Registered
520 Posts
part numbers being the same or not, from a purely functional standpoint these are relatively simple mechanical devices that are pretty close to being perfected. really, even a well maintained, well set-up tiagra rear d. should function just fine. the great majority of what you are paying for as you move up the range, as others have said, is durability and light weight.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
|3iker said:
Surfing the Shimano techdocs, I started comparing a DA RD piece and a 105 RD. Most of the part numbers are the same! :eek: Surely there must be something else that differentiate these! Am I missing something?
Try reading it again. They share ONE part number. RTFM!!!

B-Tension Adjusting Screw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.