Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I had my daughter's Conquest 24 converted I chose to go with Shimano Revo grip shifters over SRAM. SRAMs are tough to move for small hands. While Shimano feel plasticky they move easily, work well, and have gear indicator window that's easy to see.

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Shimano Revo grip shifters over SRAM
Thanks very much for the tip. We did consider what type of shifter is best, actually, but my daughter specifically chose trigger shifters instead of grip shifters, since she's using grip shifters now on her small bike and she doesn't like them.

I just changed from:

Rockwerks Mountain Bike Downhill Riser-Bar 3D Black Bicycle Handlebar $20.21

to this:

TRUVATIV Stylo T20 Riser Bar

Since I just realized the clamp diameter I have is 31.8mm and the Rockwerks handlebar only fits a 25.4mm clamp. Using Truvativ also keeps this bike 100% SRAM.

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
She is getting a road bike, of course. The MTB handlebars vs. classic drop handlebars can still be switched later on this bike. But that'll have to be switched along with the rear cassette, rear derailleur, and new matching controls on the handlebar. By the time we get around to that, she would have grown up enough to move to a small size frame, and that's when we go to a full road bike configuration. The main purpose of this bike is to learn to peddle efficiently, and that includes swapping different length crank arms.

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The bike is built: 15.5 lbs with everything but saddle and tires, and including pedals. This model of the frame does not include a carbon fork, so that makes quite a difference compared to what Felt is selling now. Pictures coming soon.

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
She did a test ride tonight, and we both realized the handlebar reach is too far, and slightly too low. So I attempted to adjust the angle on the:

Ritchey Adjustable Threadless Stem 120 120mm x 1-1/8" ( 110911740082 )

But the hinge seized, rendering that $29 part useless.

I'll go get a used S-Works carbon stem tomorrow instead. $50 for a fixed-angle stem.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'll go get a used S-Works carbon stem tomorrow instead. $50 for a fixed-angle stem.
Holy cow, you must be really wealthy!

I've got a whole drawerful of stems of various lengths and clamp sizes that I've collected off eBay. A good stem on eBay is $5 - $15 max. I cannot imagine any stem, unless it's less than 100 grams, being worth $50.

Heck, JensonUSA has stems for $10-$15.

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I just found this U.S.-based manufacturer Wheels Manufacturing, Inc. and they have their products sold everywhere, or you can buy it from them directly.

They also sell this big poster that shows every single derailleur hanger they make, as a replacement for whatever bike you happen to need one for:

View attachment 280202

The Felt F24 hanger combined with the cassette / hub / derailleur I have won't reach the smallest cog, so now my SRAM X-9 system became an 8 speed. I suppose a new hanger that offsets the derailleur 9mm outboard would do the trick.

They even have titanium fasteners (sorry to resurrect the bling subject): Wheels Manufacturing Titanium Socket Head Screws

View attachment 280207

·
Banned
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
This next iteration weights 19 lbs.

We changed the bike to use a FSA road handlebar, SRAM bar-end shifter, and brake-only levers from Shimano that's actually made in Japan, but must be the heaviest and lowest-ranking Shimano components on their catalog. The beautiful blue bar tape is Cinelli Gel Cork and it certainly is very comfortable.

The bar end shifter is still not that convenient though. For something that requires a twisting action, I would rather it be mounted on the downtube than on the handlebar.

This iteration is actually ridable. The geometry is very good. The previous one was a learning exercise that looked nice, but had unstable geometry due to a reach that was too short and a straight handlebar that was too low.

My daughter wrapped the handlebar tape three times. It took me that many times to get all the components onto the handlebar mounted just right, and she didn't mind re-wrapping it over and over again.

Terry Women's Bicycle Saddle | Terry Butterfly Ti Saddle | Bike Seat | Terry Bicycles

500 TT Shifter | SRAM

Ritchey Logic -

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.