Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hammerhead
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This frame is 11 or 12 years old - only rode it for 3 years before retiring it. It's pretty much in perfect condition. Had it set up for TT's but wasn't using it so last night I converted it back to road configuration for rain and trainer duty. It has a little bit of everything: Old style D/A crank, D/A 9 downtube levers, 105 RD, Ultegra FD, 105 levers and brakes, Modolo X-Tenos bars and stem (black, it looks silver in the pic), Ksyrium Elite wheels. I have the other Ultegra stff around to make it full Ultegra. Still a pretty sweet bike.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
nice looking ride. clean look. Does anyone know what the differences were bw the 3.0 frames and the 2.8 series? The 2.8 downtube seems to have a bigger diameter at the bottom. The 2.8 seems to have a bigger diameter top tube toward the front. Can you confim(in the pics it seems pretty obvious though)? The 3.0 tubes were all the same diameter. Any other differences?. Did the 2.8's use variable thickness tubing(within a given tube did the thickness vary?)? thanks

·
Hammerhead
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the 2.8's have the "power pyramid" downtube that increases in diameter toward the BB. The top tube is ovalized in the vertical axis at the head tube. The early ones also had the top tube ovalized in the horizontal axis at the seat tube. I had one of those, first year of 2.8 production, 5 years older that the one you see here. I think the 2.8's were internally butted at some locations, but not in the way we think of variable thickness that is used on the CAAD frames. Having ridden them for so long I can see the slow evolution of the design over time.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
so cdale tried too much too fast (horizontal oval top tube at seatstay) then went back to the basic circle on their late model 2.8's.

what cannondale frames have you ridden?

also beginning with the CAAD frame did they started using continuously variable thickness tubes?

were the 2.8's butted?

I've got a 3.0 and the older 83-89 frames and am guessing within a given tube its all the same thickness. (can anyone confirm this?)

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts