Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone successfully re-covered a Fizik saddle?

I have a structurally sound Aliante which has a worn through covering. Seems a waste to bin a £150 ($250) saddle.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
ultimobici said:

I have a structurally sound Aliante which has a worn through covering. Seems a waste to bin a £150 ($250) saddle.
I recoverd a few saddles with some success but the fizik is a hard one to do because of the notch at the rear of the saddle where the leather is sewn in my wife has 4 vittesses that are worn out on one side so I feel your pain. If you want to try it.. heres how I went about recovering my SLRs.

Carefully pull the old covering off try not to tear up the foam under it as any gaps you tear out of it will show in the new covering.

Find a car re-upholsterer and ask to buy some leather remnants and pick out one that has enough to cover the saddle and then some try and make sure its some what thin but not 2 thin .... haggle on the price

cut the leather out bigger than the saddle and mount the saddle on a seat post and put that in a repair stand so you can work on it.

coat both the saddle top and leather with contact cement let get tacky

mount the leather starting from the center and stretchingtoward the edges until you get a smooth surface with no wrinkles or lose spots

now coat the under site of the saddle with contact cement BUT only up to where the old covering ended. Makre sure you have cement on the leather where it will wrap under the saddle. Same deal as above streatch and wrap the leather under the saddle edge and trim the excess with and exato knife or razor.

Your done ... hopfully it works

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I would add....

Use the old cover as the pattern for the new cover, just make the new larger than old and then trim. Also I have used 3M high strength 90 spray on adhesive if you have it available, can be had at an auyo paint store.

·
Registered
712 Posts
you could leave it sans cover, trim it down and drill it out 'till it's an excruciating 100 grams and offer it for sale on the weight weenie forum.

ultimobici said:

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I tore the side up on a saddle once. Approximately half of the cover was torn loose but mostly intact. A shoe repair place fixed it using glue, a little stitching, and kept it clamped in place for a day. It turned out really nice. It was a turbomatic and they even fixed the peeling leather around the nose.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
:)
Lone Gunman said:
Use the old cover as the pattern for the new cover, just make the new larger than old and then trim. Also I have used 3M high strength 90 spray on adhesive if you have it available, can be had at an auyo paint store.
3m stuff is good but over kill for this application and it would take extra work to keep it from getting all over the saddle rails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts