Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a singlespeed chain, I could care less but since the tolerances are so tight on a 10 speed chain, i'm unsure.

Recently bought a campy record chain, compact campy crank and a new cassette. Did the measure 3-4 times and cut once thing but the chain must have been caught up on something as it ended up being long enough that there was slack in it. So, I found the original pin I pushed through by verifying the guide pin fit into it, backed it out the same way it came in and then re-installed it after cutting to the proper lenght.

I just want to know if this is safe to ride or if it will blow apart on me on a sprint or while 40 miles away from home. There is a bit more side to side slack in this link than the standard ones, I'm not sure if campy pins/plates are designed to only work on a one time push.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
well...

Campy HD-L joining pins are one-time use only. Campy does not recommend installing a new pin, but it would be better than reusing the old one.

The better solution is to switch to a properly fitting master link. A SRAM 10 powerlock should fit. KMC and Forster both makes link specifically for the Campy 10 chain. A wipperman connex link is my favorite, bot it does not fit a Campy chain well (too much side clearance).

· So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
digby said:
.. So, I found the original pin I pushed through by verifying the guide pin fit into it, backed it out the same way it came in and then re-installed it after cutting to the proper lenght.

I just want to know if this is safe to ride or if it will blow apart on me on a sprint or while 40 miles away from home. ...
You're taking a big risk, IME.
A cycle club member fractured his elbow + surgery, due to a breaking chain. I don't know what caused it ... a broken chain can be nasty.

By re-pushing the same pin into the same side plate, You've also possibly enlarged the hole in side plate.

Even if you pushed a new pin into the same hole (now oversized), might not have the same strength.
My rule of of thumb is, never re-use a pin OR the same hole in a side plate.

Is it possible to entirely remove that set of side plates? if you have a 2nd spare chain, since they are typically 4-6 links too long, you might be able to remove a section and splice it into your 1st chain.

Easiest 'good' method is to use a quick-link, as others have noted. Some believe a quick-link wears out faster than an original link, so inspect more frequerntly or pre-emptively replace it, periodically. I don't use quick-links, and don't have a specific suggestion for replacement interval.

· Registered
447 Posts
When I first got the campy 10 speed, I broke the chain just like I used to do then re-used the pin. Everything seemed fine, until one day when I went to remove it for cleaning and when I went to use the chain tool on the link the pin just basically fell out of the chain. I had been riding around for quite a while with that loose pin in there. How it never fell out on it's own I'll never know, but consider myself extremely lucky in that regard. I use the SRAM powerlink connectors now and they work fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.