Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
You can buy and adapter thing for like 75 cents that'll allow you to use your pump. What do you intend to carry on the road?

don't drill your wheels. I'm not even sure if you'd be able to buy the right size tube with shrader anyway.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
The little adapter thingie just screws onto the presta valve and allows you to use the schrader hose end.

You can either leave it on like the hipsters do, or carry it in your pocket.

http://bicycletutor.com/presta-valve/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't know how big your air compressor is, but I'd go easy with that thing...

Personally I'd invest in a good floor pump (manual) and leave the presta valves.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Why not just pick up a floor pump? If you drill the rims and ruin them, its going to cost a lot more in the end.....

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
If you think you might stick with road biking, I would agree with FeydR and mccurdy21 that you should consider investing in a decent floor pump. You'll want the extra control is provides in airing up your tires and most of them come with a Presta/Schrader dual head if you have other bikes with Schrader valves.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Brass Adapter works fine with Air-compressor.
A Floor Pump is the best option.
Presta Valves are so much better than Schrader for bikes.
I would not drill the rims, but if you do and want to change to Presta, there is an Aluminum Sleeve from LBS that will fill the larger rim hole.

john

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi all, my first post! Been riding a long time and find presta valves are faster and easier to fix a flat with. The empty spare tube can be rounded out by blowing air into the presta valve. I don't even carry a tire pump - just use a CO2 cartridge.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'd stick with Presta for the fact that if your out riding in a group and need to borrow a tire or pump, they are more likely to have the correct item for you. It is possible to get multiple flats in one ride.

I also recommend the floor pump so you can consistently pump up the tires to the same pressure each time.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Blacktree said:
You got that right.

I can't believe that you people would be so eager to take a big steaming dump on a fellow cyclist, because of his choice of air valves. Think about that for a minute. You all just made monumental asses of yourselves OVER A FREAKING AIR VALVE.

Is this behavior typical of this forum? Or was yesterday "crap on the n00b" day?
A little over-sensitive, are we? I didn't see any dumps. You asked for advice about how to do something, and a bunch of people said that based on their experience, it didn't seem like a good idea. They based their advice on the common opinion that presta valves generally work better for filling high-pressure low-volume tires, and that a hand-operated floor pump is a good and safe way to inflate road bike tires.

You had already decided what to do. If it works for you, fine. But I think the advice was well-meant. I didn't see any personal attacks (with the possible exception of jtimmer1, and frankly I don't know what the hell he meant ;-)

I had Shrader valves on one older set of wheels I used on my rainy-day commuter bike. After one real PITA day fixing a flat in the rain I changed to presta there, like my other bikes.

But whatever works for you, friend. Please don't judge this forum by what you perceive as inappropriate responses to your question. People here are mostly genuinely helpful, and don't "crap on noobs".

Edit: I disavow skyliner's subsequent attack. that was inappropriate. I DO NOT hope your wheels crack (and I don't think they will).

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Blacktree said:
You got that right.

I can't believe that you people would be so eager to take a big steaming dump on a fellow cyclist, because of his choice of air valves. Think about that for a minute. You all just made monumental asses of yourselves OVER A FREAKING AIR VALVE.

Is this behavior typical of this forum? Or was yesterday "crap on the n00b" day?
I'm talking about YOU.

Its international crap on you day. You asked a stupid question and we helped u solve ur problem. And you still did the wrong thing. I bet about 5-10 people in this threadx can't help but hope your wheels crack .

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I would have bought a pump with a gauge on it. Compressors can very quickly overinflate a road tire. When I worked at a shop we used a compressor all the time, but finished pumping up road bikes with a floor pump.

I doubt the structural integrity of that particular rim was affected, but others would be. I wouldn't buy this wheelset from you - it is no longer useful to road bicyclists.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nobody answered my question.

I did not ask about the merits of Presta vs Schrader valves.
I did not ask if a floor pump is better than my current tire inflation equipment (which it is not).
I did not ask permission to ride on a sidewalk.
I did not ask if I'd look cool airing up a tube with my mouth.

I asked if I was going to trash my rims. And all I got was FUD.

You all did answer one question of mine, though. You see, I used this thread to gauge the atmosphere of this forum. You all failed that test.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Blacktree said:
Nobody answered my question.

I did not ask about the merits of Presta vs Schrader valves.
I did not ask if a floor pump is better than my current tire inflation equipment (which it is not).
I did not ask permission to ride on a sidewalk.
I did not ask if I'd look cool airing up a tube with my mouth.

I asked if I was going to trash my rims. And all I got was FUD.

You all did answer one question of mine, though. You see, I used this thread to gauge the atmosphere of this forum. You all failed that test.

Speechless Yoda is.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I thought after a good ride most are happy, though maybe tired cyclists...oh well.

Clamp them in a vise, drill, chamfer the edge to reduce stress points and mount it up. Dunno how this will impact longevity but I'm sure others have done it. If the wheel fails...the manufacturer won't warranty them. Longevity and warranty weren't asked about so another notch for an RBR member not answering the question. Fail again...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts