Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I stripped and repainted my caad 4 a few years ago. By abrasive/air process, i assume you mean sand blasting. That is how I stripped mine. However, I have access to a blast cabinet at work which uses walnut shells instead of sand/silica. The sand will actually remove some of the aluminum along with any paint. I know the tubes are already very thin, so you should be very careful using regular abrazives. When you repaint it, be sure to use an etching primer so your new paint job will last. Good luck.
This is what mine looked like afterwards. I will be changing it to black in a few weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I stripped and repainted my caad 4 a few years ago. By abrasive/air process, i assume you mean sand blasting. That is how I stripped mine. However, I have access to a blast cabinet at work which uses walnut shells instead of sand/silica. The sand will actually remove some of the aluminum along with any paint. I know the tubes are already very thin, so you should be very careful using regular abrazives. When you repaint it, be sure to use an etching primer so your new paint job will last. Good luck.
This is what mine looked like afterwards.

http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/showphoto.php?photo=72&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=2&page=57

I will be changing it to black in a few weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.