Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<TABLE class=tborder id=post6665487 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #eeeeee 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #eeeeee 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #eeeeee 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #eeeeee 0px solid" width=175></TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6665487 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #eeeeee 0px solid"><!-- message -->The album linked here ( http://picasaweb.google.ca/2manybikes/ClaudButler ) is my Claud Butler. All 531, a lovely bike to ride and one that I have decided to do a full restore on. Re-polish all the chrome lugs, fork legs, stays, etc.

I am going to send it off for re-paint and re-decalling.

This colour, Corvette Yellow, is not the original paint, it was originally a British Racing Green and was re-sprayed at some point in its life.

So what do you think? BRG? I am thinking of doing in BRG, with a metal flake, and a couple of coats of clear.

Do it up nicely.

What say you folks, re-do as Corvette Yellow, or BRG?

If I go BRG - what colour do you see the decals as??
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
either... but if BRG then white decals. and perhaps better matching tape (brown, white)

speaking of corvettes, I saw one last night with the back chopped and fit with a bed a la an el camino... hawt!

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Only problem I have with BRG is that it looks better on bigger surfaces than it does on small tubes. Yer painter might have to adjust the formula to get it to look like that (Jag?).

If'n it was me, I'd leave out the metal flake.

If'n it was me, I'd send it to Mercian to have it properly enameled... are there any painters in the US that work with enamel?

Pretty bike. lemme know if you find a source for old claud butler decals...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
If it were mine, I'd stick with the yellow. I like bright colors. For me, green vehicles have always brought me bad luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The paint is going to be done at Toxic Design Lab in Vancouver.

Just have to decide what I'm doing, and what decals are going on.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Being British and a Retro Ride Lover I think I'm qualified to answer this.......

In my opinion BRG isn't the way to go. Firstly I agree with the comments above vis-a-vis small/large surfaces, secondly (least important) I just don't like it - dull dull dull and thirdly it's probably not a colour used that much in that period.

Old British bikes quite often had fairly nice bright colours done in what was known as 'flamboyant' paint. I think this was a technique where a alternate layers of colour and clear were layered giving a rich deep colour. I have purple flam on my Hetchins, looks great in the sun (didn't photograph well though!).

I have quite a few reproduced catalogues from the 50's/60's/70's and the use of very bright flams was common as were flat enamels and metalics.

Coloured bands were also very common. Have a look at Classic Lightweights for inspiration (actually you'll see quite a lot of dull/flat stuff here as well as some really nice bright stuff);

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/

At the end of the day it's your bike (a really nice one at that) and it's your choice. If you want BRG go for it - In my opinion it desrves something bright, but traditional!!!! Hell, splash out and have some double box lining!

I've got Bob Jackson repainting a 1950's Gillott fixie for me that should be on it's way to NZ now and I've had that done in red/blue flam like this Higgins:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.