Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, a BMW sorta, kinda didn't stop at a stop sign and took me out this wkend.

my C24s took the brunt of the damage...the front has a noticeable wobble now and the rear is warped/deformed enough that it completely binds at the chain stays making the bike unridable.

I don't see any visible damage to them...no broken / bent spokes, cracks, dents, etc. in the carbon cladding.

will a shop to be able to true these up to be reliable wheels again? or are they toast...? one person has told me that since they're machine-made they'll likely never be as good as new and will need re-truing often.

fwiw, have ridden 20K miles on them and before the accident they were as true as the day I bought them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would say that the wheels are shot.

One way to confirm is to bring them to the shop, have the tech un-tension the spokes (safely) and then look at the shape of the rims.

It's also hard to judge the state of the spokes when they're on the wheel. I toppled over once and bent my front wheel. I thought I could reuse the spokes and on disassembling the wheel, found that one of the spokes was bent at the point where the thread ends and the unthreaded part starts.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I would experiment for educational purposes if for nothing else but would not trust them. Time for new wheels, IMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts