Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B15's post about smoking, and the responses from the guys who said they enjoy a "good" cigar, brought this to mind: A couple of my buddies, very strong riders, smoke a few cigars a year and are forever boring everybody's asses off talking about it: "Ah, that's great. Doesn't it smell/taste good? Try one..."
My contention is that it smells SO bad that it couldn't possibly taste any other way, and that if anybody actually enjoys it now, it's only because they choked back the nausea when they were starting. Since I don't need the habit or the expense or the stink around the house, I'll pass. I mean, these guys are smoking cigars they claim cost $20-$25 apiece, and they smell like burning dog crap to everybody except them. If you're a smoker, what motivated you to get past that initial barfing?

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
I can't stand the smell of cigar smoke. I love a good cigar. Yeah, you wake up in the morning wanting to lick the plaster off the walls to get the taste out of your mouth, and hopefully you remembered to quarantine your clothes to another room before you passed out (and god forbid you're hungover), but a good cigar once in a while is a real treat, no barfing involved.

I held the same opinion about cigars as you until I went on a vacation with a bunch of friends, one on which was a cigar and scotch freak. I now really appreciate both.

·
Lincolns!
1,841 Posts
I suppose, to paraphrase KI from the same thread that got this one started, it's an oxymoron.

I enjoy cigars. I don't buy $20-25 ones. In fact, if I buy them, I don't spend more than $7-8. I got into cigars through a tradition that stuck with me. I guess I put it in the same category as coffee, beer, and bourbon. I love 'em all, but they were acquired tastes.

And +2 billion for putting the clothes under quarantine.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Cigars don't 'taste' good. Pipes are the only tobacco source that I ever enjoyed.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Not advocating it

Cory said:
B15's post about smoking, and the responses from the guys who said they enjoy a "good" cigar, brought this to mind: A couple of my buddies, very strong riders, smoke a few cigars a year and are forever boring everybody's asses off talking about it: "Ah, that's great. Doesn't it smell/taste good? Try one..."
My contention is that it smells SO bad that it couldn't possibly taste any other way, and that if anybody actually enjoys it now, it's only because they choked back the nausea when they were starting. Since I don't need the habit or the expense or the stink around the house, I'll pass. I mean, these guys are smoking cigars they claim cost $20-$25 apiece, and they smell like burning dog crap to everybody except them. If you're a smoker, what motivated you to get past that initial barfing?
I would never suggest that someone should start smoking cigars, but I would say that a quality cigar is an acquired taste much like a fine single malt scotch or wine. And no, and don't think they smell good, but it is a sinful pleasure

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
I've had a handful in the past few years. I've always liked the smell of MOST cigars. There is a good selection of them that are nauseating to smell at the same point; I consider these Supercigarettes. If you've tried one and haven't liked it, chances are it was too strong of a cigar or just a terrible smoke. The first cigar I ever had was a Punch rare corojo (sp?) and i couldn't shake the taste for 2 weeks. Something like a flavored cigar (shunned by affecionados) is easier to palate for a beginner. I really liked this moontrance cigar I had by CAO, for example. I like the activity and the experience, especially with some bourbon, but approach either very rarely due to the reprecussions suffered once I'm back on the bike. Cycling - my antidrug.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Incomprehensible

Dr. Placebo said:
I've had a handful in the past few years. I've always liked the smell of MOST cigars. There is a good selection of them that are nauseating to smell at the same point; I consider these Supercigarettes. If you've tried one and haven't liked it, chances are it was too strong of a cigar or just a terrible smoke. The first cigar I ever had was a Punch rare corojo (sp?) and i couldn't shake the taste for 2 weeks. Something like a flavored cigar (shunned by affecionados) is easier to palate for a beginner. I really liked this moontrance cigar I had by CAO, for example. I like the activity and the experience, especially with some bourbon, but approach either very rarely due to the reprecussions suffered once I'm back on the bike. Cycling - my antidrug.
Why someone would want to "acquire" a taste for something that is not only offensive to others but offensive to the user on first pass, not to mention carcinogenic, is completely beyond me. No offense, but I just don't get it. Any time someone says that XXX is "an acquired taste" I wonder why anyone would want to overcome that initial distaste. Apple pie and ice cream is great right out of the box, so why go digging for things that don't fit the same criteria?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Why someone would want to "acquire" a taste for something that is not only offensive to others but offensive to the user on first pass, not to mention carcinogenic, is completely beyond me. No offense, but I just don't get it. Any time someone says that XXX is "an acquired taste" I wonder why anyone would want to overcome that initial distaste. Apple pie and ice cream is great right out of the box, so why go digging for things that don't fit the same criteria?
:thumbsup: +1. That's why I never drink coffee or tea. I have my share of bad habits, but smoking, coffee & tea aren't among them. Abstaining from them allows me to fritter away more perfectly good money on bike accessories. :D

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
When I was in college a few friends and I attended a festival on campus. Being college students, no festival was complete without a little booze and what have you. We decided to get squirt bottles for our beverages and a couple "good" cigars (Avos) a piece.Being a little healthier, I had some raw carrots with my breakfast and off we went.

It was about 90 degrees that day and my friend prepped the drinks. Rum and cokes... sounded like a good drink for a hot day... tropical like. He had never mixed before and made 50% rum and 50% coke...in squirt bottles on a blazingly hot day in the sun. Riiiiight! (Oh.. I think some lynchburg lemonaides made it in there too).

Anyway... the straws of the squirt bottles made it a real quick drink...as the coke got flat and warm. So, we decided to chill out and smoke our cigars.

Per custom... we smoked them down to nickel sized butts and wandered back to...make more drinks.

The cigar was the clincher... I was a far better conditioned binge drinker...but before I could get back to the kitchen, the cigar and booze hit me head on... and I was puking hardly digested carrots out my nose... perfectly composed... in the grass of someone's yard. The other guys were out cold, except for one guy who was having a loud, drunken conversation between bouts of projectile vomiting out someone's window.

I was out cold from 2:00pm-4:00pm and got up... tasted cigar... got sick again. After sobering up... we just threw all the supplies and untapped drink bottles of rum and coke into the car and retreated.

The next morning... we were taking off and opened my car to the smell of flat rum and coke and dead cigars. We all turned green as we dumped it out and cleaned the car.

Today... any cigar is never a good cigar...and rum and cokes are off the menu. My body remembers more than I do.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
If it's a response to what I said I don't suggest smoking around other people, but if it's something you are interested in trying there's a way to do it. I think the ones that taste bad/smell bad always do, there are just some that may actually be pleasant for the casual smoker. Using ice cream as an analog: rocky road may be too sweet/over bearing to some people, others may hate pistachio, vanilla is safe; cigars are the same way. There are cigars that would be pleasant on the first pass, but affecionados regard them with the same contempt as many people on this site have for Sora components. So a first time smoker either picks an unpleasant one out of ignorance or they consult a person they consider more knowlegeable who suggests one that's too strong to be enjoyable. As far as carcinogens, everybody has that knowlege and everybody acts on it as they see fit. Some people bake in the sun with no protection for hours, some drink to excess, most people choose to expose themselves to harmful chemicals when cleaning their house. All of these can be linked to disease/cancer. So the answer to why someone would do that is simply apathy. People choose whether or not to have vices and what they should be.

Devil's advocat aside, I couldn't partake in smoking or drinking with any regularity. I feel the effects of it after and don't care for them. I still like to try new things within reason though.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
acquired taste

Kerry Irons said:
Kerry, understand your POV but one could argue that road cycling is an "acquired taste". Don't most newbies complain that the seats are too narrow, the position too hunched over, etc? Those of us that stuck with it were rewarded with a great pastime.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I respectfully disagree. Surely one of life's biggest disappointments has to be your first beer. In additon to beer and ales, there are a lot of foods I crave today that I wasn't crazy about at first (e.g., sushi).

I enjoy an occaisional cigar, but only smoke outside.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
DSE said:
I respectfully disagree. Surely one of life's biggest disappointments has to be your first beer. In additon to beer and ales, there are a lot of foods I crave today that I wasn't crazy about at first (e.g., sushi).

I enjoy an occaisional cigar, but only smoke outside.
i agree, many things aren't spectatular on their first taste.
hoppy beer, now it makes me drool
well any beer for that matter!
fish and any seafood took me a while
wine
bourbon/scotch
many things get a lot better after the first time. The top of that list...sex!

used to have the anual cigar but just last week gave away my stash. Just don't have em anymore and the hangover blows.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is all a matter of taste, not the taste that drives some people to wear pink polkadotted socks, the true taste. I honestly loved the first cigar I ever smoked and never looked back. On the other hand I hated the first beer I ever tried and never had enough to "acquire" that taste, same with coffee and tea, hated the first try and never looked back. Dont hate me just because my taste buds line up different than yours.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
no one hates you for that, they just question your motivations for knowingly poisoning yourself. the only people who can hate you really are anti/non-smokers who gag on your fumes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.