Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I haven't received my latest Rivendell reader but someone told me about a very depressing editorial piece. According to my friend,

"...the piece I referred to is basically his farewell to cycling. He was aggressively and
intentionally cut off by an SUV driver in Phoenix. After he had calmed down a little, he rode up to driver (who'd parked in a nearby parking lot) to confront him. The driver started screaming at him in really amazing ways. The long and short of this incident is that this happened last Fall; Maynard has not cycled since. His basic question is 'Why risk encountering these rage-filled *******s who may or may not try to kill you simply because you're cycling?'"

I have to call and see where my copy is but this sounds really depressing as well as frustrating. We keep reading about cyclists lost under the most ridiculous circumstances; it's so senseless.

S

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
zeytin said:
His basic question is 'Why risk encountering these rage-filled *******s who may or may not try to kill you simply because you're cycling?'"
That stinks. Everyone has a threshold. I'm presently of the mindset that I'd rather go down fighting than give in.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Your life as a cyclist goes through.......well "Cycles".

Although I will point out that no one who has replied yet has actually read the article (including me)......

There are times when you may find yourself rethinking the way you live. Some of this is so common as to have names; Midlife crisis etc. So what? Cyclists come and go because cycling is a part of life, it is not life.

When I think of all the folks I have seen who were crazy into cycling then somehow faded away I must be getting old.......still, I can remember when I rode a lot less.

Me? I think Maynard just needs a red convertable with a hot blond at his side and he will be fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I read it

I read the article and found it disturbing. Maynard got into a argument with the motorist and it got him thinking. Basically Maynard claims he's hanging up his bike for now and looking for someplace more civilized to move to. Currently he lives in Tuscon which claims to be a bike-friendly city. He's looking for suggestions of where to move to. You can email [email protected] write YOUR NAME/YOUR CITY, STATE in the subject and make your case as to why Maynard would be better off in your bike-friendly city.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Bummer

I just re-read "Half Wheel Hell" for the fun of it several weeks ago and thought about how cool it would be to have Maynard's life. Now he's completely off the bike.

Its strange, but I've been commuting by bike for the last six years and rarely do I get hassled by drivers. Maybe twice a year I get some kid yelling at me but that's about it. four years ago I got sideswiped by a driver and went down but the damage was minor.

Now I wonder if I had spent all that time in the car instead of on the bike:

• Would I have been in a car accident?
  • Would I be out of shape?
  • Would I have a different outlook on life after being stuck in traffic?

Most of my commute is on back roads by intention... Do other people commonly have the conflicts that Maynard had?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.