Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use reading glasses and bike glasses but not at the same time. Consequently, I can't read a cue sheet without stopping, changing glasses, etc. (you get the idea). Similarly, I can't read the small numbers on the bike computer ever and can only read the large numbers in bright light.

I know some performance eyewear is available with presecription lenses or with an insert which holds prescription lenses behind the bike lens. However, it seems these are primarily for single correction lens users as the inserts are full size.

Anyone have a creative and effective solution for this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Same dilemma.

I've tried the following:

Enlarged the printing on cue sheets when I get them before the race. Another few years it will be 3 lines per page and thicker than War & Peace.

Teamwork. Ride with a competant navigator in exchange for some extra pulls. This works great as long as you get along well and ride comfortably at a similar pace.

Rely on the the cue sheet as little as possible. On bright days I need sun-glasses more and the bi-focals less so that's what I do.
Ride with bifocals. This is best with an old pair that has photo-sensitive lenses. I find that glasses I wear cycling get more scratches than those that I don't so I hesitate to use my good ones. My next pair of glasses will be photo-sensitive bi-focals. I doubt they'll be designed for cycling, just regular glasses. lt's the best solution I've found.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have no solution but can only sympathize. I have never needed glasses in my life until that last few years for reading and I hate it. Without them I feel blind and make a lot of dumb mistakes because I either don't have them with me or don't want to put them on for something simple. Even using my combination lock in the gym is an adventure. At least my bike computer is far enough away from my eyes that I can make out all the numbers (FliteDeck).

Sucks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't know how creative this is but it works for me. I bought the Performance Radial II Sunglasses with the Rx insert and had bifocals made to fit the insert. Been using them for two years and they are great. The Radial System is dirt cheap compared to Rudy Project, but having the bifocals made can be somewhat pricey. Good luck

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
bi or varifocals

I had two pairs, one clear and one polarised made up by Optilabs in the UK. Both bi-focals. No longer do I need to squint when reading the maps, looking for the puncture, etc. There are a number of people in the States who will do your grind into most types of frames. Wrap around lenses are tough and distortion is harder to avoid if you've got a serious grind.

I would advise against the inserts. I've used them but find that an additional layer introduces reflection and refractions between the two lenses as well as an area where sweat, water, bugs, etc. can get leaving you no choice but to stop in order to remove the offending object.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Multifocal contacts

I know that not everyone can wear contact lenses, but you really should look into the recent advances in multifocal soft contact lenses that are available. I threw away all my reading glasses a couple of years ago after switching from standard soft lenses to multifocals, and I can see almost as well as I did at age 30 or so without bifocals or reading glasses (I'm 55 now).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Contacts

I just came from my optometrist this morning. I have a similar problem and my optometrist suggested contact lenses where one lense is for distance and one is for reading. One eye is dominant but I don't want to get kinky about it. Apparently your brain can sort the information out and give you good results.
He gave me some sample lenses to try over the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Anything to avoid sweaty glasses!

·
Registered
190 Posts
More on contacts...

My experience is that monovision (one for distance, one for reading) doesn't work well for cycling because it messes with the quality of your depth perception. The newer lenses are so-called multifocal--my understanding is that there are concentric rings of correction for near/far in each lens, and the eyes learn which part to look through depending on distance. There is still a dominant eye (which in my case is curiously not my actual "lead" eye).

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Agree with the Bifocals

Fortunately, the racing I do does not require a cue sheet and my eyes are still good enough that I don't have to have distance correction. I keep my cadace on the big display and the speed on the little display is what it is (I don't need to know that).

I use bifocal sunglasses for driving and don't know how I got along without them. The style I use would not be good for the bike. I do know there was a pair of Raybans at Pearl that they could do in bifocals that would make good bike glasses.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I use a prescription insert that has only far vision compensation. When I need to read something like a route sheet, I hold the sheet close to my eyes, push the glasses up and read quickly. Not the best solution, but cheap and not needed often. I usually follow someone else if I am not familiar with the route.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bifocals

I took my bifocal prescription and a pair of Ray Bans to a friend who makes glasses and had him put my prescription into my sunglass frame. Works great! I can now read my computer and see out with no problem.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
C'mon guys, you're over thinking this problem

You can buy VERY inexpensive stick on magnifying lenses, about the same size as a regular bifocal, and stick them on the inside-bottom of your sunglasses. They work fine and can be easily replaced. You should be able to find them at (gasp!) Wal-mart or any of the other "marts". If not just google (amazing how it's now become a verb) for them and you'll find 'em. Fishermen use them alot. My wife uses them for reading in a sunny car. Problem solved, cheap.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
You can buy VERY inexpensive stick on magnifying lenses, about the same size as a regular bifocal, and stick them on the inside-bottom of your sunglasses. They work fine and can be easily replaced. You should be able to find them at (gasp!) Wal-mart or any of the other "marts". If not just google (amazing how it's now become a verb) for them and you'll find 'em. Fishermen use them alot. My wife uses them for reading in a sunny car. Problem solved, cheap.
Mel,

This is a bicycling forum, works like ****-mart are not allowed. Please quote only stores that require lycra be worn. Also the product must be hand make in Italy, contain either titanium, carbon fiber or both. It must also cost more than any sane person would pay for it and require a full weekend to install.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I vote for Bifocal Riding Glasses

I have Bolle Vigillantes with prescription inserts. Just had the inserts made with my bifocal prescription. Not much more expensive than single vision, work great. Haven't had any problems with the inserts. I think they are discontinuing this line, seen them advertised really cheap.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I had my optometrist set bifocal lenses into a pair of Oakley frames. I used to have a pair of Bolles with inserts and am glad to be rid of them. One poster noted the extra reflections which can be annoying. They also place the shield further away from your face which can be uncomfortable and allows more wind turbulance at speed. Another disadvantage to the insert types is fogging in bad conditions. I had fog buildup between the lens and the shield which can make for a very exciting decent when you can't see the road. There are many optometrists that now carry different sports glasses. Proper fit for comfort and vision is important if you are going to be satisfied with your glasses. You may pay a little more by going to your optometrist but I think it is worth it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
All problems should be this easy to solve

I used to have a pair of Bolles with a separate prescription insert, and I hated them. They're heavy, difficult to clean, and prone to fogging. When I discovered I needed reading glasses, I decided to get bifocals in both my sunglasses and regular glasses. LensCrafters made both pair in about an hour, and did a great job.

·
Rain Man
319 Posts
I've been using the stick on lenses for a couple years...

and they work fantastic!! I tour in France and reading the map is a cinch now without having to stop and put on the silly Costco reading glasses. I got mine at Rite-Aid and soon after they stopped carring them. I HATE Walmart, but those things are so helpful I'll have to go in and see if they carry them here in WA.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rudy Project RB3 glasses

I have a pair of these. These allow a clear rx insert to be placed under a flip up non-rx sunglass. I have a progressive bifocal in my clear insert. This means I have my rx in both sun and low light situations. The rx insert is bit on the small side, but overall this was a fine solution to being able to see clearly in all lighting/distance situations. Not cheap, but it works well for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.