Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at "custom" frames in stock sizes - Serotta calls them ready custom. What are some makers I could consider for a frame that won't break the bank. I was thinking $1500 -2000 or under for frame. I am open to any materials - this will not be for racing - will just ride the hec out of it.

Thanks

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
Trek, Specialized, Giant, Felt, Cannondale, etc., they all make good frames and bikes in that range. Lynskey is a top class Titanium frame maker and, they routinely offer deals under $2K (see their website). That would probably be my first choice for metal. The Specialized Tarmac Pro SL is another beauty for under $2K - likely my first choice for carbon. .

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
1500-2000 can get you a really nice frame, with some builders fully custom.

My recommendations would be a high end steel frame from Co-Motion, Bilenky or Vicious . All are highly reputable and rather unique manufacturers that have a wide variety of stock sizes as well as a custom program. Should be able to get a custom from all of the above for less than 2 grand.
Gunnar/Waterford is around too, good steel at good prices. Though the company has never really excited me.
If you like Aluminum Co-Motion will make you a sweet aluminum frame, as will Spooky.
If you are willing to wait there are lots of smaller custom only builders that will make you a unique ride for your price.
All of the above are US made.

Carbon frames are overpriced. Expect to spend 1500 bones on a carbon frame that will often be the same as a carbon frame on a $2000 fully built bike. All carbon frames that you will find at your price point, and 98% of carbon frames anywhere are built in the far east. Nothing wrong with that as that's where the best carbon technology is right now. But is an issue for some people. You won't be able to get Specialized, Trek, Giant, Felt or most other big name brands as frames only. These must be purchased as a complete bike most of the time.
The Ibis Silk is a great deal, and comes with a nice fork too boot.
LaPierre is making it's way on to US soil, they offer frames only at competitive prices, also they typically come with nice Easton Forks.
There are lots of good bigger name brand frames floating around out there, as well as some really good house badged Taiwan frames and some really bad Chinese frames out there. Sometimes gotta be careful with carbon.

For Titanium you can get a Habenero or a Sibex at that price. Habenero's are made in China, and Sibex in Russia.

If I were you I'd get some sort of custom or semi-custom steel or aluminum bike with a sweet paint job from one of the builders I listed at the top. Get something that gets your blood pumping. Something that you love to ride. Not some bland me too Trek or Giant, but something people go 'Damn that's a nice ride' every time you take it out. A bike you'll want to ride the hell out of because in the end, that's what this sport is all about.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
Carbon frames are overpriced.

For Titanium you can get a Habenero or a Sibex at that price. Habenero's are made in China, and Sibex in Russia.

Carbon is overpriced (and steel isn't?). Small makers don't offer better deals on frames or complete bikes, quite the opposite. And Sibex has a terrible reputation for breakage, why would anyone recommend them? Fail.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i get a custom frame for that price. or a really nice complete bike a lbs might be trying to dump for the new models.

i just bought a madone for that price.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Don't forget Rivendell's off the rack bikes (www.rivbike.com). I have an Atlantis and Rambouillet, which may be a little out of your price range now (they were under $1000 frame and fork when I got mine). I couldn't be happier with them. Grant has introduced some new models recently that I think will fit your budget, and Riv has been really great to deal with.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Enlighten me.... if a manufacturer (who makes some custom bikes) throws together a bunch of frames with stock geometry, paint, etc. then retails them ....... what part of that is "custom"? Sounds like using the term "Ready Custom" is trying to make an end-run around the fact that it's NOT custom?

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
Well wouldn't ready-custom like Serotta be more about their special fitting? Marketing? It's to say that they will fit you to their already made bike by doing all the seat, seatpost, stem, and handlebars separately.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Coolhand said:
Carbon is overpriced (and steel isn't?). Small makers don't offer better deals on frames or complete bikes, quite the opposite. And Sibex has a terrible reputation for breakage, why would anyone recommend them? Fail.
Sounds like fighting words.:) :)
Read the post, asking about frames and specifically Serottas, not Surlys. Doesn't seem interested in complete bikes. Small builders are extremely low value, just like luxury cars but this thread doesn't seem to be about what's the best deal, rather what are my options.
Didn't recommend Sibex, just throwing it out there.
And let's not forget that a higher end carbon frame will run you upwards of $4k as opposed to a custom steel or aluminum that will run you $1.5k. Not to mention all carbon bikes are built in the far east by robots on assembly lines for price range specified as opposed to some nice fellow stateside that slaves his life away for the love of his work. Always nice to have something unique.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
Sounds like fighting words.:) :)
Read the post, asking about frames and specifically Serottas, not Surlys. Doesn't seem interested in complete bikes. Small builders are extremely low value, just like luxury cars but this thread doesn't seem to be about what's the best deal, rather what are my options.
Didn't recommend Sibex, just throwing it out there.
And let's not forget that a higher end carbon frame will run you upwards of $4k as opposed to a custom steel or aluminum that will run you $1.5k. Not to mention all carbon bikes are built in the far east by robots on assembly lines for price range specified as opposed to some nice fellow stateside that slaves his life away for the love of his work. Always nice to have something unique.
Hey! No being reasonable now! :D

FWIW- "ready custom" seems to be basically off the rack, right?

Well the big companies like Specialized and Trek are US based companies employing US workers who love bikes just as much, and also give a tremendous amount back to the cycling community. Plus alot of over priced chi chi steel is imported! And made of puppies!

For Steel bikes it is really hard to beat Surly and my favorite Salsa. Now if I ever had the chance at a Richard Sachs cross bike, all bets are off of course. But for now I only have one steel bike in the fleet, and really have little interest in adding to it given how expensive all the interesting steel bikes are outside the two Big S's in steel.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Cory said:
Don't forget Rivendell's off the rack bikes (www.rivbike.com). I have an Atlantis and Rambouillet, which may be a little out of your price range now (they were under $1000 frame and fork when I got mine). I couldn't be happier with them. Grant has introduced some new models recently that I think will fit your budget, and Riv has been really great to deal with.
Or the Surly or Salsa versions which cost 1/2 less, and are just as nice.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
JustTooBig said:
Enlighten me.... if a manufacturer (who makes some custom bikes) throws together a bunch of frames with stock geometry, paint, etc. then retails them ....... what part of that is "custom"? Sounds like using the term "Ready Custom" is trying to make an end-run around the fact that it's NOT custom?
They are Ready to take your money now, for this stock bike Custom. :cool:

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Coolhand said:
They are Ready to take your money now, for this stock bike Custom. :cool:
This.
OP do pay attention to coolhand's Salsa suggestion. The Podio is sweet, as is the Pistola. Hard to beat for value. The problem with Salsa is they look like drop bar mtb's.....way too much slope in their top tubes. And QBP never makes enough of them.....so they can be both hard to get and unique. Just like a frames from some custom builders.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
This.
OP do pay attention to coolhand's Salsa suggestion. The Podio is sweet, as is the Pistola. Hard to beat for value. The problem with Salsa is they look like drop bar mtb's.....way too much slope in their top tubes. And QBP never makes enough of them.....so they can be both hard to get and unique. Just like a frames from some custom builders.
The 2009's should be ok to get for a while- and QBP has a ton of the Surly's this year.

Pistola details for you steel-o-philes: http://www.salsacycles.com/pistola09.html

If you’ve developed a fondness for long road rides, the Pistola might just become your weapon of choice.

Crafted of True Temper OX Platinum tubing, the Pistola frame is paired with an Alpha Q CS10 fork with OX Platinum steerer tube. Together they deliver the sweet feel of premium steel mixed appropriately with a carbon fork.

Long hours on the road benefit from a different design formula than your typical road-racing platform. While stiffness is great for the efficiency it brings, too much stiffness can be a bad thing as it beats the rider up over the course of a five or six hour ride.

The Pistola is designed to deliver a smooth and efficient ride in the famed tradition of a high quality steel frame. An appropriate level of stiffness allows an appropriate level of comfort. This keeps the bike efficient and the rider fresh after many miles of pavement.

Size-specific, double-butted tubing and svelte seatstays also enhance the overall ride quality.

Grab some energy food and fill up the water bottles because the next ride is going to be a long one.

Pistola. Weapon of más satisfaction.
In 8 "ready custom" sizes. :D

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Coolhand said:
The 2009's should be ok to get for a while- and QBP has a ton of the Surly's this year.
But they never have the sizes I want when I want.........:(
Salsa's sell out quick, so if you want one try and get it now, not in July. The Pistola's and Podio's aren't even in the country yet. And a fair amount of the stock is already spoken for by dealers. So get the ball rolling sooner rather than later if Salsa's fit your fancy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts