Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to gather all my parts together for my Marinoni frame that should be here next month (fingers crossed!). I have a set of Deda 215 bars that I like, but a nice new Ritchey WCS stem I got as a hand-me-down that's made for an oversized bar. (the Dedas are 26.0).

The Ritchey stem is nicer than the ITM I have now, but I'm torn as to whether it's worth buying new bars just for the oversize feature. I'm not a heavy weight, nor a power sprinter, and I've never had issues with bar flex. So aside from the stiffness, and the fact that OS is the standard on new bikes, is there a "Real World" advantage to them over the old 26.0?

So if I keep the Dedas, can I stiff find decent stems for a 26.0 bar, like the WCS I have?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
The primary advantage

Johnny LaRoux said:
So aside from the stiffness, and the fact that OS is the standard on new bikes, is there a "Real World" advantage to them over the old 26.0?
Actually, the difference in stiffness is very debatable, since the OS section is very short and "everyone" is focused on low weight anyway. The primary advantage to OS bars is just what you said: OS is now the standard. No real world advanatage other than that.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"Real advantages in OS bars for non-pros?"

None..........for anybody

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
you can get a shim to use your bars with the OS stem. I think one reason they're going to the os bars + stems is so road and mountain components ar more interchangable. Eli Whitney would be happy with standardizing things.

·
Registered
650 Posts
i read an article that quoted the carbon guys from easton they stated they could make carbon Mtb and road bars lighter and with equal stiffness in the old normal size. they only make os because people think they need them. I have felt my cheap normal bars flex on my track bike but only on take offs and im 90kg sprinter, trying to flex them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was told by an LBS employee one time that the reason they went to OS bars and stems was due to the bars slipping in the stem clamp due to the pressure out on the hoods. Going oversize gave a bigger clamping area. I have no idea if this is true and have never found any info to back it up.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Ritchey is making some nice 26.0 stems. I have oversized on my road bike and standard on my commuter. Can't tell the difference. They both have campy ergo so I don't buy the oversized bar/clamping area explanation.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
also better for mgfers, since they can make a 31.8 for both road and mtb... which is an advantage if you have an ill-fitting bike and need a super shorty stem. you can use a 50-70mm DH/FR stem. and of course people gotta have the latest greatest and/or are suckers for the hype... filling the coffers of the mfgers

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
No question, then

Ray Dockrey said:
I was told by an LBS employee one time that the reason they went to OS bars and stems was due to the bars slipping in the stem clamp due to the pressure out on the hoods. Going oversize gave a bigger clamping area. I have no idea if this is true and have never found any info to back it up.
Well, if some guy in a bike shop said so, then it MUST be true. They NEVER get it wrong or just talk out of their a$$, do they? :) It's kind of funny because I've been riding for quite a few years with standard size bars, and this critical "slippage" issue has never happened to me, or to anyone else I know. But hey, if the shop rat said it's true, then nothing more needs to be said :)

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Ray Dockrey said:
Huh, no. From the ex-Syntace USA Manager when I asked:

1. easier for making and stocking stems from MTB and Road bikes. One stanadard and the stem can easliy be flipped for road or MTB use.
  2. The larger clamping areas do allow for lighter and stronger bars in the clampming areas when it comes to CF bars.
My though added to this:.
Astethics. Modern bikes are using larger diamater tubes With stems that are larger overall, the clamps look more porportioned with the oversize bars. Lots of 31.8 stems are made with larger tubing so they don't look so spindily.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As twinkles already mentioned, I would just use shims. You can then use the Deda bars you like with that nice new WCS stem. A company called 'Problem Solvers' makes a shim kit specifically for 26.0 to 31.8 handlebar conversions (price is under $10). The overall length is 48mm and it looks like this:

Paul

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OS bars

Paul1PA said:
As twinkles already mentioned, I would just use shims. You can then use the Deda bars you like with that nice new WCS stem. A company called 'Problem Solvers' makes a shim kit specifically for 26.0 to 31.8 handlebar conversions (price is under $10). The overall length is 48mm and it looks like this:

Paul
I saw these on Jenson USA's site. Might do the trick!

I can see the theory that the standardizing of MTB and road bars and stems make sense. I've been intrigued by the flat/ergo carbon bars that are available now, but It pains me to lay out that much cash before I get to try them out.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You can buy a 26.0 stem identical to your current Ritchey WCS. Syntace also makes a top quality/low weight 26.0 stem. Easton too, and I'll bet almost everyone.

On the other hand, it might be just as cheap to buy some OS bars. You probably know that the Deda Newton are exactly the same shape and bend as the corresponding Deda 215 bars.

Myself, I like 26.0 and just replaced both bars and stem from OS to 26.0 (long story, but it made sense at the time). In fact, I have an extra 90 mm ritchey WCS and a new 105mm Syntace stem I decided I don't need because I bought some different lengths when I changed bars. Both about 100 gm.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Meh...depends

just by way of example I have Easton EC90 Equipe bars with the shallow drop/classic bend on both my roadies (I really like the shape), one 26mm, one 31.8. I'm a hairy-knuckled gorilla (guerrilla according to my clubmates) sprinter. I notice a bit more flex on the 26mm setup but to be honest I reckon it's got more to do with stems and the rest of the front-end rather than the bars (Thomson X2 on the 31.8 vs aging Cinelli Solido on the 26).

If anything the OS bars tick me off because most of the accessories in my stable (lights, computer etc) still have 26mm clamps. The OS bars went on my race bike, which only gets used during the day. The other 4 bikes in the shed all have 26mm bars, including my track ride (the 'stiffest' front end of the lot, with nitto bars and quill stem...come to think of it, the bars might even be 25.4...).

FWIW I notice in the cycling mags and on this year's tour coverage that lots of pro riders are using 26mm.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have 25.4 carbon bars on both of my mountain bikes, and 31.8 on my roadbike.
It's really a non-issue, guess I prefer the 25.4 because of no bulge. They're not
going to break in the middle unless crashed or improperly torqued anyhow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.