Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this post. Who are you as a cyclist and does any of this crap we swear by really matter when it boils down to it? If not, what does?

Friday Group Ride #322 | RKP

To me, it's becoming more and more about just pushing the pedals, enjoying nature, good people, fitness, testing myself, and having fun.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
This week’s Group Ride asks, do you fit any of the categories neatly? Do you fit multiple categories? Do you care? Do you judge other riders? And how much do the set ideas about what a roadie is, for example, influence the gear you buy and the way you ride?

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, this is quickly becoming my entire perspective on cycling (and jiu jitsu). Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I am in it for the experience itself, not medals or awards or cliques, not to look down my nose at "freds", or to try to be just like the pros we watch on tv, etc. To state it simply, I am now in it just to ride and to be around others that do the same....

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
article said:
Do you care?
yes ... mostly about myself and my own bikes.

Do you judge other riders?
absolutely. there is no escaping this. it's human nature. judging them negatively lies in things like the noisiness of their drive trains or how they might mistreat other riders or pedestrians.

judging them positively lies in the beauty of their bikes, their friendliness (or silence), their assertiveness, and their speed.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I love this post. Who are you as a cyclist and does any of this crap we swear by really matter when it boils down to it? If not, what does?

Friday Group Ride #322 | RKP

To me, it's becoming more and more about just pushing the pedals, enjoying nature, good people, fitness, testing myself, and having fun.
No better way to explore than on a bike. Amazing how many miles rider can get into a 4 hour Sunday afternoon ride. Lots of history on those back roads.

Used to ride into Rock Creek Park, DC, after work. There'd be the same riders there frequently. We'd form small pace lines, 3 or 4 riders, up Beach Drive. Solo riders would hook up and enjoy some free speed for as long as they could. Some of us would meet up on weekends and do 40-60 miles out on country roads, with no particular goal, just for the hell of it.

That pretty much echoes article linked above. Testing one's limits against others is lots of fun! Seeing places you'd never notice from a car is fun. Getting the physiology going is great fun. Working asa one in a pace line with other riders makes it even more fun.

I was a lousy athlete. Couldn't play competitive sports worth a damn. But on the bike, I"m the master of my fate! It's like dancing, ju jitsu or martial arts, a full body exercise that rider perfects over the years. It's Zen-like living completely in the moment. All of it put together a metaphor of the struggle of life itself. Use it or lose it, as the saying goes. The older one gets, the more important that becomes. It perfectly dovetails into riding, being low impact aerobic exercise, perfect in old age. Just don't crash! :shocked:

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
What about the guys that ride 46/11t fixed gear no brakes?
I have yet to see a fixie with 46-11. 46-16 maybe; more likely 46-17.

A guy did pass me the other day in his 53-11, cranking about 40 rpm! :eek:ut: I caught him another half mile down the road, in my 52-17! As I passed him, I suggested he downshift. He didn't get it. He was so flagged he just let me go. So much for 46-11, then. These guys are wimps. They're trying, though! Gotta give 'em credit for that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have yet to see a fixie with 46-11. 46-16 maybe; more likely 46-17.

A guy did pass me the other day in his 53-11, cranking about 40 rpm! :eek:ut: I caught him another half mile down the road, in my 52-17! As I passed him, I suggested he downshift. He didn't get it. He was so flagged he just let me go. So much for 46-11, then. These guys are wimps. They're trying, though! Gotta give 'em credit for that. :thumbsup:

Ahhh, nothing like reading another of Frederico's street-wins on some poor sap pushing too heavy a gear, in too slow a cadence. Please regale us with more of your victories Fred, and do share how you manage to obtain both exact gearing usage and cadence all whilst passing said sap. :aureola:

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Ahhh, nothing like reading another of Frederico's street-wins on some poor sap pushing too heavy a gear, in too slow a cadence. Please regale us with more of your victories Fred, and do share how you manage to obtain both exact gearing usage and cadence all whilst passing said sap. :aureola:
Hey man, you coulda done it. In 52-17 that is! It's all in the mind! Don't wimp out. Suffer a little, and you'll get there! :D

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Hey man, you coulda done it. In 52-17 that is! It's all in the mind! Don't wimp out. Suffer a little, and you'll get there! :D
Man... I can't imagine being able to tell what cog the rear is in or how many teeth are on the chainring as I ride past someone. I'm always paying some attention to the surface condition in front of me. Even on a regular stretch of road,.. Today a broken glass bottle or woodchips or a pair of jeans (all from tonight's ride). Id be concerned with my position relative to theirs, communicate some... Watching for traffic as you pass... Maybe I get the make of the frame, but I'd never get that kind of detail.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Man... I can't imagine being able to tell what cog the rear is in or how many teeth are on the chainring as I ride past someone. I'm always paying some attention to the surface condition in front of me. Even on a regular stretch of road,.. Today a broken glass bottle or woodchips or a pair of jeans (all from tonight's ride). Id be concerned with my position relative to theirs, communicate some... Watching for traffic as you pass... Maybe I get the make of the frame, but I'd never get that kind of detail.
The guy passed me. We were both riding solo on the MUT. I knew the route by heart, so knew to avoid the manhole cover on the descent before a couple of blocks of slightly downward false flat. No wood chips, glass, carpet tacks. It was easy to see the guy's chain on the most outer cog and chain ring. He was pedaling as if skiing. Maybe he was a skier!

Ok, I"ll admit I was impressed. I could never push that gear, ever, except in 30 mph tailwinds at the beach and mountain descents.

Were the jeans in your size? I've found toy cars and a Barbie doll once. Kids throw them out the car windows. Gotta watch for glass. Older kids throw out their surreptitious beer bottles on a stretch of MUT paralleling the road right before entering the town. Used to have to ride on the road along that stretch to avoid the glass strewn path. :frown2:

Maybe with all those gears it's now hard to tell which one you're in! :nono: The advantage of clicks is you just shift. With friction you had to think about it more, so wouldn't shift until you had to, or wanted to. It was never automatic. So rider would know what gear he's in pretty much all the time. There were only six, so it wasn't all that hard.

In case you're wondering, wimp factor not withstanding, a "real cyclist" is someone who rides a bike. It don't matter what bike, what gears, how fast, or how long. Anyone who cycles pedals around in a circle is real. Nobody can deny that. The hot shots are no more "real" than the guy in t-shirt and shorts riding in tennis shoes. There are probably more fakes in the elitist ranks than any other group.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Yeah, but what do you and the other "reel cyclists" do when you come to the long, steep climbs of the freeway overpass?
They aren't long or steep, for one thing. Stand up, or downshift into 42 or 39 and 17 or 20 in back. No sweat.

Don't give up, as in "wimp out," like in the Nike commercial. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts