Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...later this month I am leaving my California Cave of Debauchery and Tree Hugging for the shores of western Minnesota (Cyrus...Morris....Alexandria area). This is a visit to my in-laws who are not exactly exercise fiends (or at least not cycling), so I am looking to score a road bike and get some riding in to pass the time and not lose too much fitness while I'm there.

It would also be cool not to ride alone so I am also seeking riding buddies in the area who may be interested.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Rojo Neck said:
Hey all...later this month I am leaving my California Cave of Debauchery and Tree Hugging for the shores of western Minnesota (Cyrus...Morris....Alexandria area). This is a visit to my in-laws who are not exactly exercise fiends (or at least not cycling), so I am looking to score a road bike and get some riding in to pass the time and not lose too much fitness while I'm there.

It would also be cool not to ride alone so I am also seeking riding buddies in the area who may be interested.
Never tried to rent in the area. Here's a place to start
Bike & Fitness Company
805 1st Avenue East
Alexandria, MN 56308 Map
1-320-762-8493

No roadies listed as renters, but you can always ask.

A good google search that included "Central Lakes Trail" might be in order. There are likely resorts that rent, but roadies may be hard to come by.

Are you flying in? If you are passing through the twin cities in and out of the airport, there would be more choices.

Scot

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scot. I will give them a shout.

Yeah, we are indeed flying in to MSP and driving over so I guess I could check that out...definitely a higher likelihood of finding something there (or something along the way such as St. Cloud).

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Rojo Neck said:
Thanks Scot. I will give them a shout.

Yeah, we are indeed flying in to MSP and driving over so I guess I could check that out...definitely a higher likelihood of finding something there (or something along the way such as St. Cloud).
The new Freewheel location lists rentals on the web site.

I've seen plenty of rentals going out the door at the Bloomington Penn, but they don't mention it on their site (discontinued maybe). I remember a guy renting a roadie there while I was browsing and thinking that it was a bargain, but that was probably 2 years ago.

Scot

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oy, if those are the rental rates ($99/day!?) I might have to look into just buying something. I was thinking to rent for about 1.5 weeks, I could get a quite tolerable bike for a lot less than that!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some hemming and hawing and lots of price/availability checking, it looks like I'm going to just ship my bike with me. That is probably the best (though probably riskiest) option.

So anyway...I'm still on the lookout for any potential riding partners. I'll be there July 26 through August 2 or so (we are spending some time in the Cities on both ends of our trip, not firm plans there yet). If you're in the Alexandria/Morris area and want to get together for a ride during that time, please drop me a PM or post here!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.