Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes that is blake and I. we did ride with cipo though in 2001 in san remo during the giro (yea the day of the big drug raids)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spam I not am

Hey this is a grass roots tour. I am a cat 2 cyclist and a seasoned cyclo tourist, I started this tour because of the reasons i point out on the site. Most bike tours are not for advanced cyclists.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
jchristian said:
Hey this is a grass roots tour. I am a cat 2 cyclist and a seasoned cyclo tourist, I started this tour because of the reasons i point out on the site. Most bike tours are not for advanced cyclists.
I think Magnolia's point is that your only contribution in your post is a link to something that you are offering for sale. No other content or contribution was offered. If that's all you've got your content likely belongs in the ads on this site, not the discussion boards.

Now if you wanted to get some traction around your tours, don't present it as an ad, present it in similar way you see ride reports on this site. Take a look at the recently posted Tuschany report. If you told a story about your most recent tour, I bet you would have alot more interest in your offering than just a link to your web site. Ride reports are the most popular type of post on this site. If you post one, people will come.

To give you an example of "good" behavior, do a post hunt on "heron todd". We are his target customer, but not once has he blatantly offered his product for sale in a discussion. Yet his contributions to peoples questions and bike problems are so good, that you have to believe he attracts a few paying customers along the way.

Good luck and I looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Scot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gracias amigo

scot thank you for the advice. I guess I didnt want to bog people down, just turn em on and tune em in. I do see your point and hope to be a better poster in el futuro. Maybe you saw that I also am a minneapolite. peace joe

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Ditto what Scot said. You certainly want to thrown down the freebie advice and let others give you kind words if they so chose.

That being soad any Tour de France travel post will get my attention. Just so I'm upfront I'm a guide for one of the expensive companies but am plenty happy with as many companies as the market can sustain. My boss knows his audience and we always try to be helpful to everyone on the road.

Mello Vello is a cool name but doesn't imply the more aggressive nature of the clients you're targeting. I'm far from a marketing guy so maybe I'm wrong on that one. Also the fast moving types are sometimes a tough nut to crack. My experience is that they get lost more often, go to the hospital the more often. Then again if you're not a triple riding map reader you wouldn't be a good guide for a group of them either! I wish you the best of luck. Hope to see you on the road someday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
teo, thank you also. Being a guide maybe you see where my tour is coming from. Packing and moving every two days is a hassle and takes the luster off a tour. the mello in our name obviously is what happens off the bike. Maybe this is my thread the "know what you are getting into when you book a faced paced tour thread" on the site i share an experience when i bumped into a group getting off there bikes and on the bus for 4 hours.....ouch. People should know that if a tour is offering to show you a lot in a little time that means you are moving.......and usually not on your bike. thanks all joe

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
jchristian said:
teo, thank you also. Being a guide maybe you see where my tour is coming from. Packing and moving every two days is a hassle and takes the luster off a tour. the mello in our name obviously is what happens off the bike. Maybe this is my thread the "know what you are getting into when you book a faced paced tour thread" on the site i share an experience when i bumped into a group getting off there bikes and on the bus for 4 hours.....ouch. People should know that if a tour is offering to show you a lot in a little time that means you are moving.......and usually not on your bike. thanks all joe

TdF trips are definately logistically very taxing. During the last 3-4 years of LA's TdF run it was like riding the gravy train with biscuit wheels for the tour operators catering to Americans. Companies would sell as many trips as they'd offer. I saw a first year company with no real experience selling spots for 7k. The trip offered a total of 2 days of Tour viewing for a 9-day trip. Ride distance one day was 18 miles and 112 the next. They sold out. I saw a lot of good and bad out on the road. Tons of rookie guides and companies that had to loosen hiring standards to get enough warm bodies to fill all the guide positions. The good news is that the ones that have been around a while stayed pretty true to themselves. Since it looks like you visit Gordes check out the Thai place there--Le Jardin du Levant. The owners are great and the food is terrific. I know it sounds funny to be talking Thai food in Provence but this place is sooooo goooooood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ummm thai

Yes it is hard to believe thai in gordes! But as you saw on my site I am a former chef and will be doing all the meals, but our free night there is no reason we cant pop across the valley. the villa on the web site is right next to lacoste so it is just short trip to gordes. peace joe www.mellovelotours.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts