Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm wondering how long ya'll can comfortably sit in your saddle. I can go for about four hours, after which the discomfort causes me to increase the frequency of my standing. I've pretty much sucked it up for the last few years since I thought four hours is a pretty long time anyway, but now I'm considering trying some new saddles. Is being comfortable beyond about four hours a realistic expectation?

· Registered
3,866 Posts
It should be comfortable..

I find that around the 40 mile mark some saddles start feeling uncomfortable. They might feel fine for shorter rides, but when you get tired you tend to sit more and put more weight on you rear instead of your legs. The big thing for me is width. I can use an San Marco Concor Light (135mm) and it feels great until I hit around the 40 mile mark then I start feeling pressure, and then my rear will eventually start to feel sore. So sore that it will carry over to the next day. I dialed in my width to 143mm, which is the width of a Selle Italia Flite or Flite Gel. I think saddles might be more crucial for flat rides, on climbs I tend to alternate standing and sitting and I move around a lot. On the flats, I like to stay in one place. I think a saddle should work so well it should be boring. It's just there. Shorts count also.

· Registered
2,673 Posts
Before Avocet put grooves on the O2 AIR 40 i could ride that one pain free for 4 hours. Still haven't found one i like. As you can see from the Butt thread they're alot of opinions. Buy them on ebay and sell them there if they don't work.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
I'm going to quit bragging about my B-17

I've been pushing B-17s on people for years, because when I'm in riding shape, I'm pretty comfortable for four hours or so (I was ready to get off after two today). If I did 11 hours, and my legs didn't fall off, I'd need a Brooksectomy before I could drive home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.