Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I’m sharing what has actually made a difference, however I don’t cramp on the bike usually - it’s at night or when I like down. If I’m walking or standing, I don’t have an issue. Stretching seems to have made me less susceptible- significant improvement. But I still cramp at night after a hard ride but only adductor on the left leg. This seems strange and I’m trying to understand what might have helped or resolved this issue for others. I only cramp on left adductor ? Seems strange.
Yes, strange. Have you checked to see if you have a leg length imbalance? Perhaps a winter spent in the gym focusing on equalizing your dominant and non-dominant sides? It’s specifically a cramp, not “cramp-like” pain?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, strange. Have you checked to see if you have a leg length imbalance? Perhaps a winter spent in the gym focusing on equalizing your dominant and non-dominant sides? It’s specifically a cramp, not “cramp-like” pain?

I think that I do have a slight leg length difference - at least a Dr. that examined me a long time ago after a car accident said so - but it’s never been something that has shown up in my riding/running. Equalizing, you mean strengthen the weaker side, to gain “balance”. And yes, I”m very sure that it’s a cramp. Hurts like hell and I get up and try to walk it off until finally it releases. I’ve been trying some anti-cramping supplements when it happens, even have tried TUMS.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I think that I do have a slight leg length difference - at least a Dr. that examined me a long time ago after a car accident said so - but it’s never been something that has shown up in my riding/running. Equalizing, you mean strengthen the weaker side, to gain “balance”. And yes, I”m very sure that it’s a cramp. Hurts like hell and I get up and try to walk it off until finally it releases. I’ve been trying some anti-cramping supplements when it happens, even have tried TUMS.
That’s fixable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,579 Posts
Stretching and cramps? These are different mechanisms. If you have adequate nutrition you shouldn’t have cramps.
Not really. There is not scientific consensus on the causes of cramps, but I know for me it is about hydration and electrolytes. "Adequate" nutrition doesn't apply when you sweat out over a gallon of fluids on a long ride.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Not really. There is not scientific consensus on the causes of cramps, but I know for me it is about hydration and electrolytes. "Adequate" nutrition doesn't apply when you sweat out over a gallon of fluids on a long ride.
Fair enough, cramps are not well understood. Nutrition however, is well understood. Anyone that eats some semblance of a healthy and diverse diet has plenty of magnesium, calcium, potassium, etc. sodium is, of course, the outlier. This includes someone who does extended endurance activities.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts