Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Surfs Passion Naked
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a cheap bike to ride out the wet & sloppy Spring,
which is just around the corner despite the 5" of snow we got yesterday.
(Did I mention I'm a die hard Mtb mudder & a total road bike newby dweeb :cool: ).

$50 GT frame W/cheap carbon Goodies to soften the bumps.

Heres the issue: putzin' with the Campy Mirage shifters, the Left shifter seems to have more clicks...I thought the left one only did the front Derailleur :confused:

Instructions are for losers...and my dial up ISP isnt fast enough
to download a PDF :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hollis said:
I'm putting together a cheap bike to ride out the wet & sloppy Spring,
which is just around the corner despite the 5" of snow we got yesterday.
(Did I mention I'm a die hard Mtb mudder & a total road bike newby dweeb :cool: ).

$50 GT frame W/cheap carbon Goodies to soften the bumps.

Heres the issue: putzin' with the Campy Mirage shifters, the Left shifter seems to have more clicks...I thought the left one only did the front Derailleur :confused:

Instructions are for losers...and my dial up ISP isnt fast enough
to download a PDF :rolleyes: .
That's the Campy way. Think of it as combining the best features of "brifters" and old style ratchet shifters. You get to shift from the brake levers, but you have lots of trim positions to prevent derailleur rub.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,763 Posts
Hey Hollis, nice to see a familiar face here! :)

The other poster is right; the left clicks are for 'trim'. This was a new concept to me last week, I'm just now messing around with road bikes too. I mainly use it when I'm in the 39t ring in front and the smaller cogs; clicking the left lever up just a little bit will cancel out the rubbing on the derailleur.

What'll they think of next?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not quite correct...

Yes there are a lot more clicks than needed, but if you are using a double front derailleur, the thumb button should be pushed all the way down when the derailleur is in the small chainring. Then, only 3 or 4 of the clicks will be required to move the derailleur to the big ring. At that point, the stop screw on the derailleur prevents the use of the other four clicks.

The clicks that are not used are only of value if you use a triple crank and front derailleur. The setup procedure is the same. The thumb button should be all the way down when the derailleur is on the smallest (3rd) chainring. Then all of the clicks are needed to move the derailleur from the smallest ring to the the largest. When you're on the big ring, only clicks toward the smaller rings are used for trimming. In the middle ring, you can move the derailleur to the right or left for trimming. In the smallest ring, only click toward the bigger rings are available for trimming.

·
Surfs Passion Naked
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool

Hey Girchy...hows College?

Thanks Guys, the info makes sense...I'll finish the wiring job sometime this week
& post a pic...if I figgar out this new format.
Til then...I'll be the dirty bastid with the silly grin...riding in da mud. :D

Hollis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.